Christmas Bread, Two Weeks Late

So, things have been kind of crazy around here.  In case you haven't noticed.  Who knew that what is usually a fairly relaxing break would be completely taken over by holiday stuff, wedding stuff and just plain busy-ness!

Hence, I now present a long overdue post about that bread I made for Christmas.  It's only two and a half weeks late.  That's not so bad, right?
And part of the last two and a half weeks was a ski trip with my parents.  It was back to that place of the wonderful breakfast buffets.  Although, I ended up sick halfway through our stay so I didn't get to enjoy it nearly as much as I had hoped, but I'm sure my waistline will thank me.  It's probably for the better anyway.  But boy, is that buffet good.
However, back to December.

I made Finnish Coffee Bread for the first time.  I associate Finnish Coffee Bread with Christmas.  We had friends who always used to make us a loaf at Christmastime.  I've wanted to make it for a while now, and I decided to make it for Christmas for my future in-laws.  Intimidating, I know.  But it worked.
I am so glad that I am no longer afraid of yeast breads.  However, I am still checking the temperature of my liquids before I put the yeast in.  All the poor, poor batches of yeast I've killed.

I found this recipe, and it was great.  It got a little bit more crusty than I am used to, but that might just have something to do with the fact that I had to bake it longer.  But that part is coming with the story.
So, I made the dough.  In the mixer.  I just kind of guestimated 7 minutes or so for how long to knead it.  I really thought the whole mixer was just going to walk right off the counter.  It was pretty crazy.
And I had a little bit of a hard time getting the melted butter mixed in, but it did mix eventually.
The part I was most unsure of was the braiding.  I didn't know how long or thin to make the pieces, so I tried two thicknesses.
One of the loaves was really think and almost round, even with the braiding.
The other was more reasonable.

Both were huge though.  I think I'll try making 4 loaves next time.  Or at least 3.

So, that's why I had to cook them for longer.  They were masssssive.

But, they were also good.  I was really glad that it made two loaves, since it meant that we could try it before I brought it to the S house for Christmas.

I think I need to make this again.  Soon.  Yum.

Comments

Popular Posts