Brownie Batter Oatmeal {Three Ways!}

Somehow I literally have been making this overnight oatmeal for two or three weeks now, and I haven't had time to post about it yet.  I think I am addicted.

You know those things that when you eat them, you just feel like you need more?  And then you feel the need to eat it every meal?  That's how I am with this oatmeal.
I found the pin on Pinterest one Saturday, and we happened to have everything sitting on the shelf.  Ok, no, we didn't.  We didn't have the optional protein powder, so I've been using extra oats instead.  But I had to try it.

And NES and I both loved it.  We've been eating it at least a couple mornings a week since.

At first, I felt a little guilty eating something called brownie batter oatmeal for breakfast multiple times per week.  Especially since each serving had 2 tbsp. of sugar in it.

Then, I did a rough calculation of the amount of sugar in a bowl of Kashi GoLean Crisp and skim milk.  It seemed to be about the same amount of sugar (give or take a teaspoon or two).  Maybe I was wrong, but it seemed to be pretty much comparable.

I have cut back gradually to 2 1/2-3 tbsp. of sugar total, so I don't feel quite as bad about it.

The rest of the ingredients are totally either healthy or not that bad.  So I don't feel bad about it anymore.

I might have made it a little sugar-ier on Valentine's day though, when I doused it in a good round of sprinkles.  Because who can really resist sprinkles on a holiday (and expect more for my birthday!)?!
My addiction goes so far that it actually drove me to create another recipe that I don't have to wait for.  For the exact situation when I want to eat some for lunch on a weekend, but don't want to wait for it to sit in the fridge for two hours.
I'm addicted.  It's just a fact.

And then, birthday time!  I wanted to make something "cake batter" for myself for lunch, so I did!  I adapted the brownie recipe with some cake mix, and voila!  Cake batter oatmeal!
Complete with sprinkles, of course!  It really does look like funfetti cake batter!
Sprinkles make the idea that I'm now a quarter century old a little more palatable.  Somehow, it doesn't feel like that much of a change.
 Oh yeah, and happy birthday to myself!




Overnight Brownie Batter Oatmeal
adapted slightly from Dancing Dish

1 cup milk of your choice (I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
2 tbsp. cocoa powder
2 1/2-4 tbsp. sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
1 1/4 cup old fashioned oats (or 1 cup old fashioned oats and 1/4 cup protein powder)

Mix all the ingredients in a small mixing bowl or large measuring cup.  Mix well.

Pour into two small containers and refrigerate overnight (or at least an hour or two to let the oats soak up the liquid).

Enjoy cold or warm (heat for 30-60 seconds in the microwave).  Serves 2.


Cheater/Quick Brownie Batter Oatmeal

1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1 cup water
1 tbsp. cocoa powder
1-2 tbsp. sugar
milk (of your choice) to taste

Cook the oats as specified on the package.  

Stir in the cocoa powder and sugar.  Add milk to get to the consistency you like.  Serves 1.

Reese's pieces make a spectacular addition to this oatmeal!


Cake Batter Overnight Oatmeal

1 cup milk of your choice (again, I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
2 tbsp. yellow or vanilla cake mix
1 tbsp. sugar
1 1/4 cup old fashioned oats
Sprinkles

Mix all the ingredients in a small mixing bowl or large measuring cup.  Mix until combined.

Pour into two small containers and top with sprinkles.  Refrigerate overnight (or at least an hour or two).

Add more sprinkles, if desired, and enjoy! Serves 2.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts