Cutting Corners

Today, I finished my short-lived but highly educational and I suppose productive stint as a five-classes-a-day-full-time high school teacher. Thank goodness. Somehow powering through correcting 5 tests today felt like an appropriate ending. It's all downhill from here. I also am ashamed to say, as a tea drinker, it was the day that drove me to drink a mug of coffee at school. I never thought student teaching would do that to me.

And I got my graduation cap and gown today. Somehow graduation feels more real when you are staring at . . . well, a graduation cap and gown.
I also opened a ketchup bottle for the first time since April fool's day. As a conclusion to the ketchup cupcake saga (as confusion has reached my ears): don't try putting ketchup in cupcakes. They smell funny and taste funny. Although apparently after a few days they don't taste all that funny, but they were still universally eaten with a fearful look and after a polite bite was taken, they were not finished. . . . What? We didn't MAKE people eat them . . . Just politely suggested it.

And, finally, I discovered that cutting corners (specifically to produce less dishes) does not pay off. I've mentioned the garlic-thyme-paprika pub fries before. But so far, I've just spread some oil on a baking sheet and proceeded to sprinkle herbs and spices over the potatoes. Tonight I decided to be good and try it the real way: mix the potatoes, herbs, spices and oil in a bowl. They tasted so much better. I didn't think it would make such a difference.
Oven-Baked Pubfries (1 serving)

5-6 baby potatoes, quartered or halved
1 1/2 Tbsp. oil
approx. 1 tsp. garlic powder
approx. 3/4 tsp. paprika
approx. 1/2 tsp. thyme
salt, to taste

Mix potatoes and oil in a bowl. Add the spices and mix well.

Spread the potatoes on a baking sheet and cook at 450 degrees for 15 minutes. Check potatoes and turn them, if necessary. Return to the oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.


And, please. Don't skip the bowl. Even if it does make less dishes.

Comments

Popular Posts