Cookie-Palooza

So I started this post on Monday only to realize that I didn't have the pictures off my camera yet.
So after I tell you that Royal baby #2 was born yesterday and it's a girl!!! and that NES got me "limited edition Royal baby cheese," so I had to make paninis with it tonight just to celebrate, and about my trip to visit DJL and MEW (complete with the obligatory doughnuts! can you guess which is mine??), we'll time travel back to Monday . . . .

Time travel commences in 3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . .

Classes end in one week.  I'm currently sitting here eating cheddar and sour cream Ruffles and drinking an ice coffee I tried to mocha-ify by adding hot chocolate powder. (And it actually sorta worked.  At least, it's subtly chocolatey and sweet without being nasty syrupy sweet . . . which I still haven't been able to bring myself to drink after a month craving it.) (Parenthetical remark #2: One of my students was eating said Ruffles in class this morning and the whole room smelled like them.  How was I supposed to resist getting a small bag to go with my tuna for dinner?!  And eat half of them with lunch, apparently.)

Anyway.  I did just get back from yoga class.  Does that somehow make my end of semester craziness a little better?

Anyhow, yeah.  Since the end of our 30-day challenge, I've barely been in the kitchen.  Oops.  It's just been a crazy week.  There's been way too much bad food.  And there were, of course, cookies!  I also have some other baking posts that somehow got lost in the days of not eating baked goods . . . someday they'll come out of the archives!

But shockingly enough after 30 days of not baking, I wanted to make cookies on Wednesday afternoon as a break from grading.  I also had some fancy dessert salts from KS, and I wanted to try them out!

If you remember the dark chocolate pistachio sea salt cookies of a few months ago, you remember I was slightly obsessed with them.  So it was obviously time to make more!  I made a batch, attempted to make nice big cookies(!) and topped half with espresso salt, and the other half with vanilla cardamom salt.

For some reason, the espresso ones stayed nice and thick and such, while the vanilla cardamom ones spread like crazy.  It must have been the cookie sheets I used or something.

I really also wanted to try the peanut butter peanut butter cup cookies I found during the 30 day challenge.  The recipe makes 4 cookies!  It was perfect, because four was plenty to go with the other whole batch of cookies!

I've actually made these cookies a second time this week, and I just tripled the recipe to get a dozen cookies for a gathering at KEB's house!  I love having that flexibility to make the cookies in 4 cookie intervals!

The other great thing about these cookies is that they are health{ier} than your average cookie and gluten free!  I'd put all the ingredients in the cookie base into a granola bar any day.

The flip side of that is that they are pretty dense, and on the cakey side.  I really like them that way, but if you are not a cakey cookie fan, then maybe these aren't for you.

Also, I highly suggest dark chocolate peanut butter cups.  They are just tastier!  I tried both types, and prefered dark chocolate hands down.

And please, don't skip the salt.  Even if you just have plain old salt, put it on top!  The salt really keeps these cookies from getting too sweet, and just in general make them amazing.  Salted cookies are apparently my new obsession.  (And if you happen to have espresso salt or rose peppercorn salt, all the better!)






Peanut Butter Peanut Butter Cup Cookies
from Imma Eat That 
makes 4 cookies!

1/2 cup + 2 tbsp. oat flour (I make my own by adding a few tablespoons more than I need of old fashioned oats to a blender/food processor and processing until it is mostly fine dust)
2 1/2 tbsp. natural peanut butter (I use homemade)
2 tbsp. honey
1 tbsp. applesauce
1 tsp. vanilla
pinch salt
4 dark chocolate peanut butter cups (the ones that are about 2 inches in diameter, not the tiny ones)
sea salt (flavors optional)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a bowl, combine all the ingredients except the peanut butter cups and sea salt.  Stir until a dough forms -- rubbing the spoon across the mixture can help incorporate all the flour into the sticky ball.  Fingers can also help!

Split the dough into 4 balls.  Press a peanut butter cup into the top of each ball.

Bake 8 minutes.  Remove from the oven and sprinkle tops with sea salt while the cookies are still hot.
Allow to cool before eating.

Comments

Popular Posts