Chocolate Oreo Cake

So yesterday was the last day of classes!  And I spent it with a nasty stomach bug.  And since I'm still recuperating (hello, toast!), needless to say, I still haven't really made it back to the kitchen.  So I guess it's time to pull out some of those baking posts from right before our 30-day challenge!

But first, we celebrated RMB's baby shower this weekend!  I had a blast helping her sisters, DO, KO, RO and HN set up, and taking pictures of the day.  Everything looked so adorable.

And just because I can't pass up a good opportunity to talk about food, the shower was held in a restaurant owned by some of RMB's really good friends, and the food was AMAZING.  There was so much Middle Eastern food I'd never tried before, and I actually liked almost all of it!  Biryani, which is rice with potatoes, almonds, golden raisins, peas, carrots, cinnamon and cardamom was my new favorite!

Anyway, once upon a time in March was HFK's birthday!  We were supposed to go play on trampolines with her, but we couldn't be there.  But I made her a cake and dropped it off!

She requested something Oreo-y, so my first thought was this cake that I'd seen on several blogs recently.  But a second request was no chocolate frosting, so I adapted and made a Oreo buttercream instead!  (And since it's now been more than a month (and it feels even longer!) since I made this cake, I don't remember which one.  I have made a couple I really liked before!)

And as fancy as this cake looks, it is really simple! There's a layer of Oreos in the bottom of each pan before the batter goes in.

Then, I used a  devil's food cake recipe for the batter in order to make sure it was a nice, light cake.  I've been accused of making heavy, dense cakes in the past.  Gee, I wonder why that could be?

Then, the layers bake just like normal!

Meanwhile, there's two types of frosting to make instead of just one.  But still.  That means more beaters to lick!

The middle frosting is a Oreo-cream like frosting.

Then, outside, as I said, I used an Oreo buttercream.  I even purposely made the crumbs in the food processor so I could theoretically pipe the frosting onto the cake.  Still didn't work, but now I have new tips to help with that!

Anyway, I spread the frosting on, and piped a little bit of the leftover frosting from the middle on top to hold some half Oreos!  Somehow Oreos make cakes look so fancy!



Oreo Surprise Inside Cake
idea/cream frosting adapted from A Farmgirl's Dabbles
devil's food cake from Martha Stewart

Devil's Food Cake:
3 sticks (1 1/2 cups) butter, softened
3/4 cup cocoa powder
3/4 cup hot water
3/4 cup sour cream
3 cups cake flour, or 3 cups-6 tbsp. all purpose flour + 6 tbsp. corn starch
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 1/4 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 tbsp. vanilla

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Line two nine-inch cake pans with parchment paper, then spray the insides with cooking spray.  Dust with cocoa powder, and tap to spread excess around.  Line the bottom of the pans with Oreos.  Use as many as will lay flat in a single layer on the bottom of the cake pan.

Whisk together the cocoa powder and hot water.  Add the sour cream and whisk until thoroughly mixed.  Allow to cool.

Meanwhile, mix the flour, baking soda, salt and sugar in a mixing bowl.

Then, with an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add the eggs one at a time, beating between each egg.

Add the vanilla and beat to mix.  With the mixer on low speed, add half the flour mixture.  Add the cocoa mixture, then the other half of the flour mixture.  Mix until just combined.

Pour into the pans, and bake for 40-50 minutes, or until a tester comes out of the center clean.


Filling:
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup shortening
3 cups powdered sugar
2-3 tbsp. milk
2 tsp. vanilla

Beat the butter and shortening together with a mixer until light and fluffy.  Add the powdered sugar one cup at a time.  Add the vanilla and add milk to reach the desired consistency.


Then, make your favorite chocolate or Oreo frosting!

To assemble the cake, take a cake layer, and place it Oreo-side down.  Dallop the filling on top and spread into a think, uniform layer.  Place the second layer down on top of the filling, Oreo-side up.  Frost with chocolate or Oreo frosting!

If you have any filling or frosting left over, use the leftovers to pipe on top to hold up cut-in-half Oreos!

Comments

Popular Posts