Sea Salt Pistachio Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies

I might just have a favorite chocolate chip cookie.  I've never really had a favorite chocolate chip cookie before, because, well, they are just chocolate chip cookies.  I never found one that stood out of the crowd enough.

Until now.  Before "snowmageddon 2015" actually started (a.k.a before the blizzard came and then the next foot+ snow storm came . . . and then the next foot+ snow storm came . . . and then the next two storms were forecast . . . all in 17 days), we had a small storm on a Saturday evening.  NES and I were supposed to go to HFK's apartment for a game night, and I was supposed to bring dessert.  In my attempt to use all my new cookbooks and become less dependent on internet recipes (a.k.a. pinterest), I handed NES two of the cookbooks and asked him to pick.  He found Joy the Baker's Dark Chocolate, Pistachio and Smoked Sea Salt cookies.  Granted, they happen to also be online, but I promise, they came from the cookbook first!

When I made them that first day, in the snow, I didn't have pistachios at home.  So I used almonds.  I also still haven't invested in smoked sea salt, so I just used plain.

And we were both in love at first bite.  Seriously.  So good.  And because we didn't make it out in the snow, we had a whole batch to ourselves.

During today's (fourth snow day of the four weeks of this semester and another Monday without my evening class!), I made them again.  This time with pistachios.  And it was love at first bite.  Again.

And maybe I got some special chocolate for these.  AB brought me to a fun market where I found these!

Seriously.  They make good post-shoveling fuel!

Now, NES and I agree that we can't decide which way makes the better cookie.  On the one hand, the almonds provide a nice little crunch and stand out a little from the cookie.  And this comes from two people who are actively against and/or passively apathetic about nuts in cookies.  The pistachios, on the other hand, looked prettier and added a subtle flavor to the whole cookie, while blending in to the texture.  We just can't pick which are better!

And don't even dream of leaving out the sea salt.  It absolutely makes these cookies.  Even the cookie dough is better with just a little salt on top.  I mean, what?  I didn't try it or anything . . .


Dark Chocolate, Pistachio and Sea Salt Cookies
adapted slightly from Joy the Baker

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cup dark or semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup shelled pistachios or almonds, chopped coarsely
sea salt (smoked if you have it!), for sprinkling

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and both sugars about 4 minutes, or until light and fluffy.

Add the egg and the vanilla, and beat for about a minute.

Add the flour, baking soda, and salt and mix until just combined.

Add the chocolate chips and nuts, and mix to combine.

Scoop by 2 tablespoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheet.  Sprinkle each cookie generously with sea salt.

Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until edges are golden brown.  Cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet, and move to a rack to cool completely.

Comments

Popular Posts