Father's Day and Ice Cream Pie

Wow, where has the time gone?  How is it that I haven’t even posted about father’s day yet?
 
Usually, I make a strawberry rhubarb pie for my dad for father’s day.  With father’s day falling early this year, and strawberries ripening a tiny bit late, I didn’t get the chance.  I didn’t even get the chance to go strawberry picking until the Friday after father’s day.  In the midst of a day of secret cake decorating (story to follow), TK and I found a new farm to try for strawberries, and within an hour, we had two flats and two quarts.  TK was making jam, so she needed a lot of strawberries.  All that to say that I have strawberries now, and rhubarb from the S’s garden.  So pie making will commence soon.  Sometime. 

Anyway, back to father’s day weekend.  It was a busy weekend, with visiting on Friday evening, breakfast and presents with my parents on Saturday morning before the crazy strawberry bash, and then father’s day festivities on Sunday with the S family.  Phew.

Without even thinking about the fact that we were celebrating father’s day at breakfast with my dad, I found him a pop-up toast card.  And with the giant coffee mugs and general quirkiness of the restaurant, the card fit right in. 

Then, besides watching The Book Thief, and beginning my obsessive need to find the book, we spent a lovely day outside with the GWS, PLS and ZNS.  ZNS and NES made eggs and potatoes (respectively) to go with cinnamon buns for breakfast and then NES made hot dogs and hamburgers for lunch.  We also went and played Pooh sticks at the bridge.  Because when isn’t Pooh sticks a good plan?

But back to Friday night.  AS and CS came to visit, and we had dinner with them and PLS, GWS and ZNS, too!  We enjoyed talking and catching up.  We had pulled pork, salad and beans for dinner, and I brought ice cream for dessert! 

However, KEB gave me the idea of an ice cream pie instead of just plain old ice cream.  I had never made an ice cream pie, and it sounded like fun.  I just kinda winged it, and threw in the cooler hoping it wouldn’t be mush by the time we got to the S’s house.  It barely wasn’t a pool of goo.  

I made a homemade oreo crust (but a store bought one would work just as well!) and filled it with Kahula chip frozen yogurt from our favorite ice cream place.  It was a warm day, so it didn’t take long for the yogurt to soften up enough to fill the pie plate. 

While that froze, I made a magic shell topping for on top.  I really wanted to try making a homemade magic shell topping – particularly a cake batterversion, but cake batter and Kahlua chip just didn’t sound like they were a match made in Heaven to me.  So I made a standard chocolate one.  I used the extra topping on frozen bananas with sprinkles for a cool treat on a hot day!

I’m a little torn about whether I should have just made a fudge topping for the top instead.  Because the pie was pretty soft by the time we ate it (after the car ride, it only had an hour or so to re-freeze, and the yogurt tends to get soft fast anyway), so the magic shell just kind of squished through the pie by the time you tried to eat it.  However, maybe straight from the freezer at home it would have been better.  I did like the taste. 

And then I whipped up some fresh whipped cream before we ate it.  What pie is complete without whipped cream?



Easy Ice Cream Pie
topping adapted slightly from Gimme Some Oven

Oreo Crust:
24 oreos
4 tbsp. butter, melted
(Or buy a pre-made one)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Crush the oreos into a fine crumb.  I'd suggest using a food processor.  Stir in the melted butter until the crumbs are all moistened.

Press this mixture into a pie pan and bake for 5-7 minutes.  Allow to cool to room temperature.


Magic Shell topping:
1 cup chocolate chips
2 tbsp. canola or coconut oil (I didn't have coconut oil)

Mix together the chocolate chips and oil.  Microwave for 30 seconds and stir.  Continue to heat in 15 second intervals, mixing between, until the mixture is smooth.  Allow to cool to room temperature

Store at room temperature.


Pie Assembly:

1 oreo crust (above)
1 quart ice cream or frozen yogurt (softened so that it can be molded into the pan)
1 recipe magic shell topping
1 cup heavy cream
confectioner's sugar, to taste

Using a large spoon, spoon the softened ice cream or frozen yogurt into the prepared and cooled pie shell.  Fill the pie with ice cream.

Drizzle with the magic shell topping and return to the freezer until ready to serve. 

Just before serving, whisk the cream at high speed in a mixer until peaks begin to form.  Add sugar to taste (start with 1-2 tbsp.).   Continue to whip the cream until the desired consistency is reached. 

Before serving (before or after cutting), dollop whipped cream onto the pie.  Enjoy!







Comments

Popular Posts