Chocolate Covered Rice Krispies Treats

Ok, so I said that chocolate covered rice kripies treats might happen this week.  They were already done Tuesday night.

I just couldn't wait.

Because it just sounded too fun.  And tasty!


I was entirely inspired by the Disney Mickey rice krispies treats, since I ate two while we were gone.  Well, not quite all while we were gone.  Thanks to the generosity of KS and PB, who had extra meals leftover at the end of the week, one came home with us.  It was like a little reminder of vacation at home!

But I didn't have a Mickey cookie cutter, so cupcakes and duckies it was!  And sprinkles, of course!

The inspiration that I was able to realize was how marshmallow-y the Disney version were.  At first I thought it was a little weird, but still tasty.  They were much softer than I was used to.

But when I came home and started to look for recipes, I found one that called for about one and a half times the amount of marshmallows most of the other recipes do.  Lo and behold, they were there to keep the treats soft past one day!  I understand now!  And they really did stay soft, even out on the counter!  I may have been nibbling on the excess for two days afterwards.

I melted some milk chocolate and dipped them in!
And then, sprinkles!



Chocolate Dipped Rice Krispies Treats
Rice krispies treats adapted from Heather's French Press

3 tbsp. butter
16 oz. marshmallows
1 tsp. vanilla
6 cups rice krispies
milk, semisweet or dark chocolate
sprinkles

Melt the butter and marshmallows together in a large saucepan, stirring frequently.

Remove the pan from the heat, and add the vanilla extract and cereal.

Press into a greased 9x13 (or larger if you want thinner treats) pan with the spoon or your fingers, working quickly so the mixture doesn't harden too much.

Allow to cool completely.

Flip the whole mixture out onto a baking sheet (or counter, if you don't mind a sticky counter).  Use cookie cutters to cut shapes out, or cut into bars.

Melt desired amount of chocolate in a bowl large enough to dip your treats into.  I started with maybe 1 1/2 cups.  You can either (carefully!) melt the chocolate in the microwave, stopping every 15-30 seconds to stir, or use a double boiler.

Dip the treats into the chocolate and allow excess chocolate to drip off.  Place onto a parchment lined baking sheet.  Quickly add sprinkles before the chocolate hardens.

Refrigerate until the chocolate is firm.

I used any excess chocolate to drizzle on the leftovers from between the shapes!


Comments

Popular Posts