Orange Ricotta Pancakes

We all know that I love my lemon ricotta waffles.  They are just so amazingly fluffy and tasty.  Lemon ricotta pancakes are also tasty.  I haven't tried making those yet though.

It's gotten to the point where I immediately think breakfast food when there is leftover ricotta in the fridge.  Yeah.  That.

It suddenly seems like twitter has become my new recipe finder.  Not that I don't find them on pinterest, too, of course (since most of the bloggers I follow on twitter, I also follow on twitter, or at least the bloggers I do follow on pinterest follow the other blogger . . . something like that), but I've noticed the past few recipes I've been really excited about trying on twitter first.  Granted, I'm talking a trend of a total of two recipes.

On Sunday before I headed to visit SJM, MJM, EF, BH and mom, and do all sorts of shopping and eating, I made NES and I some orange ricotta chocolate chip pancakes.

Besides the addition of chocolate chips (which obviously make the whole situation better), I really liked the subtle orange flavor.  I think I even liked it better than the lemon version.

Now, a note on the batter.   Because of the ricotta cheese, the batter is incredibly thick.  I actually had to flip my pancakes twice just because once they cooked enough to be flipped, I squished them down and there was so much batter exposed, that it had to cook again on the first side.

Part of my problem with the batter might have come from the fact that I didn't have a juicer, and just tried to squeeze the orange.  Squeezing an orange is hard in the first place, and it gets even harder once it has been zested.  Thus, there probably should have been a bit more liquid to thin the batter out.

If there is ricotta sitting in my fridge, you know what I'll be making.



I also made Joy the Baker's carrot cake pancakes last week.  Now, I'm not ready to share the whole recipe, since I am used to very dense, heavy carrot cake pancakes, and these were not that.  I also ended up with some crunchy carrots (I just chopped pre-grated carrots and didn't follow smitten kitchen's suggestions).  But here are some pictures of my adventure anyway.  Someday I'll play around with the recipe.

I did manage to mostly successfully make some cream cheese glaze with the Laughing Cow's cream cheese wedges.  It would have worked even better if I hadn't forgotten to half the milk with the rest of the recipe.



Orange Ricotta Chocolate Chip Pancakes
from Two Peas and Their Pod

1 1/4 cup flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
3 tbsp. sugar
zest of 1 orange
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 egg
2 egg whites
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

Whisk together the baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.  Add the sugar and orange zest.

In a small bowl or large measuring cup, whisk together the ricotta, egg, egg whites, orange juice, oil and vanilla.

Fold the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients until the dry ingredients are just incorporated.  Add the chocolate chips, but don't overmix.  Expect thick batter.

Heat a griddle or skillet over medium heat, and spray with cooking spray.  Drop the batter by 1/3 cupfuls onto the hot pan.  When the pancakes look like they are beginning to set, flip the pancakes.  I had to squish mine at this point.  Cook until the second side is browned.  I had to flip mine a second time to cook them completely.

Repeat until all batter has been used.

Serve with syrup or whipped cream.

Comments

Popular Posts