Happy π Day!!

Oh, π.  Wonderful π.  Thank you for giving us a holiday on which it is acceptable to eat a whole meal of pie.
Happy π day!  

After the past couple π days, it should not be surprising that we celebrated with KEB and JB.  The past couple years, it has just been coincidence, but this year we planned it this way.  KEB was really excited about planning a meal around pie.  S also joined us this year!
And not just any pie.  A mac and cheese pie with bacon on top, and a crust that tasted like cheez-its.  She didn't make the fried mac and cheese balls (I'm thinking that was a good thing) and used boxed Annie's mac and cheese for the filling (also, probably a good idea, since there is so much less butter!).
We made that slightly healthier by adding salad.  But, boy, was it good.
We forgot to put a π on KEB's π(e), so we added one later!  
So I made my dessert π(e).  

This year, I was searching for a pie with Oreos involved.  I'm not sure exactly where that came from, except that NES does love Oreos.  I found several on Pinterest, and picked this one, not the least because I wanted to try Joy the Baker's no roll pie crust.  
I made the one in her cookbook.  However, it made enough for a 10 inch pie pan (probably more).  Next time, I'll make this one.  It sounds like it will make a much more reasonable amount.  Although, the extra did give me enough to make some pie "chips" for NES and me to enjoy after lunch.
It kind of felt like making a graham cracker crust, but it was definitely different.  I am not sure that I made it thin enough, since there was so much extra.  It was an adventure.  
I must say, I had never grated butter before.  Freezing the butter gave me time to do my yoga this morning, though!  I'd say it worked out pretty well.  
Then came the filling.
I must say, it was the most unique filling I'd ever made.
First, I crumbled 2/3 of a package of Oreos into the unbaked pie crust.
Then, I made a mixture of eggs, cocoa, sugar, butter and everything good.  And poured it over the cookies.  
The best part of making a no roll pie crust was that I could use the extra to make little dams where the filling was going to overflow.  Perfect.
The extra dough also gave me a perfect excuse to make a fun π on top of the pie.  Excellent.
Oh, π.  Huzzah π!  (And there were even π day presents!!)

Chocolate Oreo Chess Pie

24 Oreos (2/3 of a package), crumbled
1 unbaked pie crust 
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
3 tbsp. cocoa 
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Press the pie crust into the pan, and fill with crumbled Oreos.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the melted butter, cocoa, sugar, eggs, vinegar, vanilla and salt.  Pour over the Oreos. 

Use a spatula to spread the filling evenly and mix with the Oreos.  Be gentle, and be careful of overflow.  

Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top.

Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until the pie is set in the middle.  Allow to cool for 20 minutes before serving.

Comments

Popular Posts