Waffle Night!

I think I have a new waffle recipe.  Seriously.  I'm really excited.  I've never been that great with waffles.  They never seem to get crispy on the outside . . . they are always a little . . . soggy.  Or gummy.  Or something.  I don't know why.  It's sad though.

However, these waffles are so light, fluffy and tasty that it doesn't even matter.  They are amazing.

When NES and I went away for our anniversary we had lemon ricotta pancakes for the first time.  And we both loved them.  Soon afterwards, I found lemon ricotta waffles from Joy the Baker.

It took me this long, but I finally got a chance to try them.  Thursday night, NES and I were both tired and it was just a breakfast for dinner type of night.  It was.  Really.   NES heated some hash to go with them.

And it was totally worth it.  They are just lightly lemon and so fluffy.  So very, very fluffy.

The batter actually does fluff up when the lemon and ricotta go together.  And just as an fyi, it doesn't spread much when it cooks.  I think it does the spreading thing in batter form.  I think I know how I'm using up leftover ricotta from now on.  It always just sits in the fridge until it goes bad.  No more.

Mmmmmmmmm.

Oh, and then I flipped the maple syrup bottle over to rinse it out.  And this was there.  What!?


Lemon Ricotta Waffles
Adapted from Joy the Baker

1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3 tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp. lemon zest
1/3 cup butter, melted
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
3 tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
3/4 cup water

Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and lemon zest.

In a bowl or large measuring cup, whisk the butter, eggs, vanilla, lemon juice, ricotta and water together until combined.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.  Stir to combine.  It's ok to still have a few lumps in the batter.

Cook according to waffle iron's instructions.  Dollop (and it's thick batter, so it will be dolloping) onto waffle iron and cook until golden.

Makes 2-4 servings.

Comments

Popular Posts