Annual Musings on Ice Cream, Year 4

It's that time of year again.  Ice cream time.

a.k.a: Today was the first day that even remotely felt like spring.

It's been a long, cold winter.  Well, it's been warm off and on, but not all that warm, and there's been 2-3 feet of snow on the ground.  Somehow that just doesn't feel like ice cream weather.

And I'm not sure that today was quite there yet, but it was the first warm day in March.  March just feels like it should be spring.  And a day starting around 10 degrees
and ending near 40 degrees is worth celebrating.

So, after a trip to the local book sale (as if we needed more books . . . ), NES and I headed to get ice cream.  We were back to the same place as two years ago.  Same flavor, back to chocolate sprinkles.
This year, as I ate my ice cream, I thought about how wonderful it tasted.  Not that ice cream is ever anything but tasty, of course.  But for one, ice cream always tastes better at the ice cream place.  Even when you buy cones and have the whole nine yards at home, it is never the same.  I guess I can't say that for homemade ice cream at home, since I've never gotten around to making homemade ice cream.  But any other ice cream at home (even if it from the same ice cream place) just isn't the same.

Also, after a long winter of not eating ice cream at an ice cream place, it tasted better than I remembered.  It's the same flavor I (almost) always get, and somehow it just tasted better.  I think it was that long New England winter, complete with snowstorms coming at an occasional 3 storms a week rate.  Somehow ice cream just tastes that much better knowing that most of the winter is past.  Maybe it is the flavor of anticipation of summer.  I don't know.  I just know it tasted that much better.

Comments

Popular Posts