Teriyaki Stir-fry

So, NES and I have this problem with stir-fries.  See, my ideal stir-fry is just about every veggie you could put in a wok (minus onions) with plenty of sweet and sour sauce served over rice.  NES likes stir-fries with sausage, or at least chicken, some sort of teriyaki sauce, noodles and just a few veggies.  You can see how that could be a problem.

We've both made our share of stir-fries since our wedding, but usually NES makes his while I'm at school late, and I make him eat mine . . . but only once in a while.

On Thursday night I decided it was finally time to cook again.  I mean, yeah, I made the chicken taco bowls and pancakes.  But those aren't what I was thinking of.
Enter Pinterest.  Of course.  I found these teriyaki veggie bowls, and decided they were worth a try.
And they were even easier than I imagined!  Even though I didn't go with the frozen veggies.
I decided that I would use the veggies NES tends to like in stir-fry: yellow pepper, carrots, shallots, and snow peas.
I think next time, I'd cut or break the snow peas though.  They ended up a little . . . large for a mouthful.
The sauce came out really well.  And it really was easy.  Except I might have put in a little too much red pepper trying to make it spicy for NES.  It was very, very spicy.
I did add a little extra soy sauce at the end.
It was so easy to put together.  And even overly spicy, it was so tasty!



Teriyaki Stir-fry
adapted from Budget Bytes

For the sauce:
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp. rice wine (Mirin)
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1/4 tsp. sesame oil
2 cloved garlic, minced
2 inches fresh ginger, peeled and minced or grated
pinch red pepper flakes
1 tbsp. cornstarch
2 tbsp. water

3/4 yellow pepper, sliced into strips
1/3 (3/4 cup or so?) bag of matchstick carrots
1 medium shallot, sliced
1 handful snow peas
1 chicken breast, sliced

8 oz. dry buckwheat soba noodles or 14 oz. prepared
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil


In a small bowl or measuring cup, add the soy sauce, rice wine, brown sugar, sesame oil, red pepper flakes, corn starch and water.  Add the minced garlic and minced or grated ginger to the bowl.  Stir to combine.

(If the noodles are dry, prepare according to package directions.)

Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-hot heat.  Then add the vegetables and chicken.  Cook, stirring for 2-3 minutes.  The vegetables and chicken do not need to be cooked through.

Stir and add the sauce.  Bring to a simmer.  The sauce should thicken, and the vegetables and chicken should be mostly cooked.

Add the noodles to the skillet and stir until coated in sauce.  Allow to heat for 2 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and noodles are warm.

Serves 3-4.

Comments

Popular Posts