Chicken Taco Bowls from the Crockpot

Ok, so I'm going through another one of my beginning of the semester lulls in cooking.  Oops.  Tonight was a breakfast for dinner kinda night.  We had leftover pancake mix and chicken sausages from camping.  So, it was a throw together some breakfast kind of night.  I love breakfast though.  Any time.

Mmmmm, pancakes.

But!  But I did cook on Saturday!  RB, KB and HK were here, since the guys were off doing their own thing.  It was kind of an impromptu girls' day.

We were kind of stereotypical again.  I had all of the leftovers from the campfire cones, and KEB brought her leftovers, too, and RB brought some ice cream. Mmmmm.  So, we had sundaes.  Huzzah!

And I wasn't crazy enough to only feed them ice cream.  It's something I would do (and I've convinced NES to join me), but as a hostess, I am not quite that crazy.

So I made chicken tacos in the crockpot!  I was originally going to make my usual chicken tacos, but I realized that KB doesn't like cilantro, and they are, well, mostly cilantro.  So, change of plans.  I found these chicken taco bowls instead.

I figured the bowl thing would make it easier.  How hard can rice be?  Apparently it can be difficult.

I attempted to make brown rice, but ended up with a sticky, gooey, tasteless mess.  Oops.

But, on the positive side, the chicken came out really well, and was super easy.  I love being able to pour everything into the crockpot and have dinner ready!
Don't mind the picture . . . it smelled so good that I forgot to take a picture until it was leftover time!  Oh, yeah, I also got my Monday and Wednesday dinners!




Chicken Taco Bowls
from Budget Bytes

1 1/2 lbs. chicken breast
16 oz. salsa
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
8 oz. frozen corn
1 tbsp. chili powder
1/2 tbsp. cumin
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
pepper, to taste
2 cups dry rice, prepared to package directions
shredded cheddar cheese

Pour salsa, black beans, corn, chicken and all the spices and herbs into the slow cooker.  Add 1/4 cup of water and stir.  Make sure the chicken is covered.

Cook on low for 8 hours.

Stir with a fork.  The chicken should shred easily.

Pour the chicken mixture over the rice.  Top with cheese, if desired.  Serves 6-8.

Comments

Popular Posts