Crockpot Chicken Tacos

Ok.  So, I've basically been doing homework all weekend.  It's time to take a break and blog.  Seriously.  I mean, I have a good reason to front-load the homework this weekend, but still.  It's been a lot of homework.  Hopefully it means a free-er weekend next week though!

Also, I realized that I'm so far behind in blogging about what I've made that I've made these cilantro chicken lime tacos again since.  What can I say?  They are really good and really easy.  They are great for days when I'm at school and can throw food into the crockpot before I go.

Oh, and since I last blogged (I know, it was a while ago.  Somehow the time in between just flies by . . . ), we've survived two snow storms.  Both on weekends.  One was quite remarkable -- it was named after a particular clown fish.  I even got a snow day out of it.  Today's was not nearly as remarkable, but it was still snowy, cold and windy.
I am also enjoying use of my thumb returning.  It's quite nice.

But, yes.  The tacos.

So, for one thing, I don't do ground meat.  Which meant that many taco nights became vegetarian taco (meaning, lettuce, tomato and cheese) nights for me.  But it's ok.  I'd accepted it.  However, tacos with pulled chicken were an epiphany to me.  I didn't have them much, but I knew I liked them.

And since I'm on my slow cooking kick, the fact that I could make these particular ones in the crockpot was wonderful.

The very first time I made them, I used the dry taco seasoning, and I might have cooked them for, well, 10 hours or so instead of 8.  So, they turned out kinda dry.  The salsa helped, but it was pretty obvious the chicken was overcooked.
However, I've made them twice since, and being more careful about cooking the chicken for closer to 8 hours has helped a lot.
Also, for all you non-cilantro fans (or should I say cilantro haters?) out there, well, you probably wouldn't like these.  I am not a huge fan of cilantro -- in fact, I tend to avoid it in fresh salsas and such -- but I love these.  Just saying.
I have also discovered that some grocery stores carry a line of liquid taco and fajita seasonings.  I've started using a chipotle and lime fajita sauce instead of both the dry taco seasoning and the water.  I think it's a great improvement . . . if you can find the sauce.  But it's good either way!
Served with cheese, sour cream and salsa, they make a great dinner.  I'd probably put on lettuce and tomatoes, too, but since NES isn't a much of a fan, I don't bother for just me.




Cilantro-Lime Chicken Tacos
adapted from This Vintage Groove

1 lb. chicken breasts
juice from 2 limes
approx. 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 pouch liquid chipotle lime fajita sauce (or substitute 1 packet taco seasoning and 1/2 cup water)
1 tsp. dried minced onions

Place all ingredients into the crockpot.  Cook on low for approximately 8 hours.

Remove the chicken from the crockpot, shred with a fork, and drizzle with excess sauce.

Spoon chicken into tortillas.  Serve with cheese, sour cream and salsa.

Comments

Popular Posts