Chicken Enchiladas

I've always been sort of interested in making enchiladas.  Well, not always.  I didn't like Mexican food when I was younger.  And then when I discovered it was really just mainly cheese and beans, I started to like it.  But I still don't make it a whole lot, and usually if I do make it, it's tacos from the crockpot.

When I go out, enchiladas just don't sound all that interesting compared to everything else on the menu.  I mean, just chicken and cheese sounds not nearly as interesting as chicken and beans and cheese and rice and everything else.  So, I never get enchiladas.  I actually don't think I'd had one until a few weeks ago.  And then I decided I wanted to try to make them.

So I did.

I found this recipe on Pinterest, of course, and picked this one because I'm still trying to make (at least slightly) healthier foods after this weekend.

Who knows if they were really "healthy" but at least they seemed healthier.

They were also fairly easy to make.  Putting them together took the longest.  If I had shredded the chicken before, it would have been quicker.

I poached the chicken breast earlier in the afternoon so it'd be ready.

It's also amazing how much Greek plain yogurt smells like sour cream when it is in the context of Mexican spices.

I was a little worried that the sauce wouldn't make enough to cover the whole pan.  But it did.  And I think the sauce was one of the best parts.
I also ended up baking them longer than the recipe said, but I wanted the cheese and sauce to bubble.  It never did.  But they were plenty heated and tasty!  And N has plenty of lunches now!  

Skinny Enchiladas 
adapted slightly from Sweet Treats and More 

8 wheat tortillas (7 in)
1 1/2 cups cooked, shredded chicken breast
1 large, chopped shallot or 1 small onion
1 chopped pepper
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 of 4.5 oz. can of diced green chiles
1/2 cup plain 0% Greek yogurt
1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese

Sauce:
3/4 cup salsa
1/4 cup plain 0% Greek yogurt
1/2 of 4.5 oz can of diced green chiles

1/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Saute onions and peppers in olive oil until onions are soft and starting to brown slightly.

Mix shredded chicken, peppers, onions, cumin, chiles, yogurt and cheese in a bowl.

Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.

Spread 1/8 of chicken mixture into each tortilla.  Roll the tortilla and place in the pan, seam side down.

Combine salsa, yogurt and remaining chiles in a bowl.

Spread over the rolled tortillas and sprinkle remaining cheese on top.

Bake, covered with foil, at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.  I removed the foil for the last five minutes or so to allow them to brown a little bit.




My herbs have been enjoying the showers the past two days!
Also, my prayers are with the people in the Midwest who are without family members and homes after the tornadoes.  

Comments

Popular Posts