Tortellini Pizza

Ok, so, I know it sounds crazy.  Pasta on pizza?  NES and I have clearly gone over the deep end.  But, not really.  Because it totally wasn't our idea -- we stole it from a pizza place.  And, it's so delicious, the only question is why we hadn't thought of it before.

I know, it sounds kind of over the top and it sounds kind of weird.  But trust me, it's good.

I think the idea for making a pizza with tortellini on it (after initially seeing it on a menu at a local pizza place) was actually hatched because I got NES some vodka sauce when we went to Maine last summer.  Vodka sauce has always reminded me of the tomato-tortellini soup we have at home.  I'm not sure why.  I think it's the somewhat-creamy-but-also-cheesy-without-being-overwhelmingly-so-ness of it.  Yes, that's a scientific description.

But when we were trying to decide what to have one night, the combination of tortellini and vodka sauce and tortellini and pizza somehow ended up coming up.  So, we decided to make a tortellini pizza.

The first try consisted of putting some of the fresh tortellini you can get in the grocery store on a flat-ish store bought pizza crust with vodka sauce and parmesan cheese.  Problem 1: chewy tortellini.  Like too chewy.  Like dried out pasta type chewy.  Problem 2: too much of that very salty, sharp cheese flavor.  I don't think we anticipated the vodka sauce being quite so cheesy.  And not just cheesy, but a very similar type cheese flavor.  So, we put the tortellini pizza on the back burner.

But last night we decided to try it agian.

Except this time, we cooked the tortellini for about 4 minutes first.   And we switched up the cheese a bit.  Both were good changes.  And it solved both problems.  So now, it's just yum.

Tortellini Pizza


1 thin pre-baked pizza crust
1 9 oz. container of refrigerated tortellini -- we used roasted garlic and cheese!
1/2 jar of vodka sauce (or so)
4 oz. ricotta cheese
1/4 cup parmesan cheese

Cook the tortellini according to package directions, but reduce the cooking time to about 4 minutes.

Spread a layer of vodka sauce onto the pizza crust and dollop with ricotta cheese.

Drain the tortellini and scatter them over the pizza -- careful!  They are hot!

Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.

Bake according to crust's package directions.

Cut and serve.



Yum.  I know it sounds weird, but try it.  It's really worth it.

So, now I go on to my week of proctoring exams.  Who decided that chemistry exams get to take precedence over math?  I disagree.  Oh well, at least it will force me to sit and do homework this week.

Comments

Popular Posts