Happy Pi Day!!

I have a confession to make.  I think I just made the most unhealthy thing I have ever made in my entire life.

And the sad thing is, that's not an exaggeration.

It's March 14.  That means only one thing to any math person ever: HAPPY PI DAY!

I do love pi day.  It's just one of those days when it's great to be a math geek.  It's a great excuse to eat pie.  And it's a mathematical holiday.  Does it get better than that?

And it's nice to be on break for pi day again.  It was always fun to celebrate in classes in high school and undergrad.  Somehow I can't see my grad school professors being quite as fun about it.  But that's ok.  It's still spring break, anyway!

So, I actually ended up making my pi(e) earlier than I usually do.  I needed a dessert for the weekend, and it's just how it worked out.

I was originally thinking about this pie.  I was back in my retro cookbook pie streak -- but last time that didn't go over as well as I had hoped.  So, I found a different recipe instead.    We were going to visit JDB, KEB and JBV, and as KEB loves peanut butter cups, NES convinced me to make the peanut butter one.

To start my very unhealthy baking day, I went to the grocery store to buy pretzels, peanut butter cups and peanut butter chips.  Oh, and you can't have pie without whipped cream.  I felt thoroughly unhealthy.  And that was just the beginning.
The pretzel crust seemed like a great idea.  It was like a graham cracker crust but adding in the whole salty element.  I found that the chopper I usually use for nuts and dried fruits made quick work of about half a bag of pretzels.
And here comes stick of butter #1.  And sugar.
I must say the crust was a good idea  -- mom deemed it "pretzel brittle".  It definitely had the sweet and salty thing down.

And I still say that making crumb pie crusts like this is easy.  I don't know why people are so afraid of it.

And, the come sticks of butter #2 and #3.  And two more additions of sugar.
Annnnnd chocolate and peanut butter chips.  I added half peanut butter chips instead of all chocolate.  I am glad I did.  I couldn't find mini Reese's, so I chopped up the small-but-not-tiny Reese's.  And they kind of melted into the pie.  Oops.  And peanut butter chips at least added more peanut butter flavor.
It was pretty good stuff.  And very sticky.
I actually had a hard time spreading the dough into the crust without pulling the pretzels away from the crust.    That should have been my first hint that something was wrong.
However, I couldn't resist using extra chocolate chips to make a pi on the pie.  This was definitely the easiest way to put a pi on any of the many pies I have made for pi day.
It came out of the oven just like it I put it in!  I think that's a first.
It took a while longer to cook, I think.  I just waited till it browned.
Look at that.  Three sticks of butter, pretzels, two types of sugar, peanut butter and chocolate chips and Reese's cups.  Crazy.  It's kind of a heart attack waiting to happen.
But it tasted good.  Why are bad things always soooo good?  
However, in the end, I think that next time, I'm gonna forgo the crust.  It was pretty good, but it didn't quite fit with the flavors and just fell apart anyway.  And I think I'll find a healthier recipe for a Toll House pie and play around with adding peanut butter to it.  I think I will play with that sometime.  It will be fun.  

But anyway, go find circles and appreciate pi for what it is: calculate the area, find the circumference and show pi some love!

Happy pi day!! 

Comments

Popular Posts