Eggless Brownies

And one week later, I am not working on homework till 1 am, but instead until 3 pm.  I am not sure how that works, but I have an exam to study for, so I'm thankful.  But right now, it's time for a break.

So, if you know me at all, there are three elements of a snow day: tea, movies and baking.  Obviously, the baking isn't a necessity -- there are just days when baking isn't feasible.  This past Thursday (my first snow day of grad school, I'll mention!), I had the tea and movies covered, and when NES and I decided we weren't going to brave the snowstorm and risk driving in the snow for dinner, I decided I needed to bake.

The one major problem being . . . I didn't have any eggs.  Ok, any non-expired eggs.  I wasn't going to risk using the ones that had been sitting in my fridge for a month past their date.

Thank goodness for Google.  And Pinterest, really.  What would I have done in the days before you could type "eggless baking" or "eggless cookies" or "eggless recipes" into a search bar and have a world of recipes at my disposal?  I would have been sad, that's for sure.

I also realized just how hard it was to bake without eggs.  Don't get me wrong, it's doable.  But a lot of the cakes and such had tofu or other, well, less than common ingredients in them.  I have decided that I should not take it for grated that I can eat eggs and I don't have to bake and eat like this all the time!

Anyway, I was glad I decided that chocolate chips were a necessity and grabbed some when I stopped at the grocery store to get milk in case of being snowed in.  I always knew chocolate was a life necessity.

After sifting through all the tofu recipes, I finally found this recipe for brownies.  (Thanks again, pinterest!)  I had everything, so I decided to make them.

And it went pretty well. I might have been hard-core multitasking when I started, so I didn't follow the directions . . . exactly.  But it worked out.

One thing that did cramp my style a little was the fact that I didn't have enough butter to make a full recipe.  Oops.  I only had 1/4 cup.  And, well, I realized I don't have a 9x13, or even 9x9 pan here.  Oops.  But, thankfully, I do have a pie pan.  And, when you do the math out (remember, A=pi*r^2?), a pie plate is probably about as close as you can get to half of a 9x13 pan in the common baking world.  Perfect.

So I made half a recipe.  And ended up using almost a whole bag of chocolate chips . . . I think I used a little more than they called for.  Just a little.  But I'm glad I did.  The final result still wasn't as chocolatey as I'm used to, but it was more to satisfy a baking craving than a brownie craving.

However, they did come out nice and chewy, but not super duper dense like I was worried about.  Apparently the step where you cook the flour really does work.  Who knew?

I also had to bake them for about twice as long as they said.  I don't know what was up with that.  But I kept telling myself that if they didn't ever cook through, they were eggless, so it was ok!

Then, when NES and I had them the next night, we used the leftover frosting from rimming the glasses for my birthday and frosted them.  Then there were no more complaints about not chocolatey enough.  Who needs chocolate when there's frosting?
Yummmm.
 

Comments

Popular Posts