Chicken with Apples

I actually cooked last night.  Thanks to NES for that inspiration.  He suggested we cook last night, and I decided it was a perfect night for chicken and apples.
Tonight, on the other hand, I did not cook.  I have a gigantic apple, the second half of the squash from last night, cheese and peanut butter.  It's a very me-meal.  I like it.  Have I mentioned how much I have missed squash since last winter?
Oh, and when I say gigantic apple, I mean huge.  It came from my favorite farm stand.  And it's giant.  Hooray for giant apples!
But anyway, last night, I decided it was a perfect night for some fall food.  I didn't realize just how much chicken with apples reminded me of fall at home until last night.  It is a perfect fall meal.  

I also had a squash sitting here waiting to be eaten.  So, I decided to cook it.  But usually I am boring with my squash.  I just cook it as a half in the microwave and eat it plain.  I love it that way.  But I know most people add seasoning of some sort, so I found this recipe.  

I actually didn't even really use that recipe.  I just referenced it.  What I ended up doing, was cutting the squash into wedges, then putting them on a foil lined, greased baking sheet.  Emphasis on the foil lined part.  I poured probably 1/2 cup apple juice over them, and baked them for 15 minutes at 425.  I then flipped them, and drizzled them with maple syrup, cinnamon and a little butter.  I baked them again for 20 minutes.

They came out pretty well, but I think the fact that I used buttercup squash wasn't the best idea.  Buttercup is so good, but at the same time, it's a little dry, so the whole thing was kind of dry.  Oh well.  
The chicken, on the other hand, tasted just like mom's.  Almost.  I think I used more cheese.  So it was less healthy.  Oh well.  
New England Chicken with Fresh Apples
From Weight Watchers

1/4 cup bread crumbs
2 chicken breasts
1 medium apple, sliced
Dash nutmeg
4 oz. Monterey Jack cheese
Dash paprika
1/4 cup apple juice
1 tsp. margarine

Press bread crumbs into both sides of chicken.

Lay chicken in a small casserole (or pie plate) and place apple slices over the chicken.  Sprinkle with nutmeg.

Place cheese slices over apples, then sprinkle paprika over the top.

Add apple juice to casserole and dot with margarine.

Bake at 425 for 30 minutes.



So, also, I'm not sure if I mentioned this or not, but NES and I have an official date for our wedding!  Hooray!  Last night when he came, NES taught me how to make his origami hearts.  So, I of course, had to make a minuscule one.  I made them out of post-its while my students were taking quizzes today too.  I think I have a new favorite pastime.

Comments

Popular Posts