More Fall Adventures and Cornbread

Well, where has this week gone?  Good question.  Not cooking -- I'll tell you that much.  Well, at least until last night.  Then again, I did cook on Tuesday night.  It just seems like that was forever ago.

I owed NES cornbread from Labor Day weekend and I finally got around to it on Tuesday night.  And if you think that's bad, I had been meaning to try the recipe since January when KEB sent it to me originally.  Basically, it was long overdue.

One of my problems was that I couldn't decide what to make cornbread to go with.  I always associate it with chili, but NES and I kind of have a chili problem.  His ideal chili would be all meat, mine would be all veggies with lots of beans.  So we don't do chili here.

Then I had a breakthrough!  Chicken tortilla soup!  In the crockpot!  I didn't get it in until about 2, but that worked out.  I just cooked it on high, and we ate at a reasonable hour!  I even was able to get some homework in.
And I made the cornbread.  I fell in love with this recipe when MS and PM started making it for us.  It is so good.  Mine didn't come out nearly as well as MS and PM's always does though.  It was a little dry.  I'm wondering if I should have not tried to use Greek yogurt instead of the buttermilk/yogurt.  I sometimes forget that Greek yogurt isn't standard yogurt.
But nonetheless, it was tasty, and I had dinner for two nights at school!
Then, I finally got the caramel apple that I had been waiting for all fall on Thursday night!!  It was so exciting.
It's a nice, tart green apple, coated in tasty, tasty caramel, dark chocolate (lots of it!) and sea salt.  Mmmmmmmmmmm.  It might just be my favorite part of fall.  And that's saying a lot, since fall has so many exciting things!




Moosewood Cornbread
from Mollie Katzen's Moosewood Cookbook

1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour (whole wheat)
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup plain nonfat yogurt or buttermilk

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Grease a 9 inch square or pie pan.

Mix the cornmeal, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.  Whisk together the eggs, oil, brown sugar and yogurt/buttermilk in a separate bowl.

Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients.  Stir in the wet ingredients until just mixed.

Spread the batter (it will be thick!) into the pan.  Bake 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.


Update!  I've been told by MS that this recipe has been edited by the author herself!  Another cornbread recipe to try!

Comments

Popular Posts