Chicken Tortilla Soup, Slow Cooked Version

Now that I have my crockpot here and a person to share food with, I have been trying to make something in it every week or so.  It has been fun and it's been a good way to expand my food choices.  And, it means that when N gets home, I don't have to be in the kitchen making dinner.  We'll see what happens when I go back to school.  For now, it's great.

Last week, I made chicken tortilla soup again.  But this time, I put it into the crockpot.  And, don't get me wrong, it was good.  But not as good.  I haven't quite nailed down why yet though.  I think it may have had something to do with the fact that the jalapeno I chose had absolutely no zip to it.  I don't know that much about hot peppers, but now I know that I need to test them.  Apparently.

Also, I added two tablespoons of lime juice, since one of my favorite parts of the first chicken tortilla soup was the lime-yness.  It still wasn't very lime-y though, so I think I'll add more lime juice next time.  Or maybe squeeze a real lime.

One of the best things about the crockpot version, though, is that the chicken goes in raw, cooks all day, and is magically done.  And then is shredded afterwards.  It was really easy.  And perfect for me, because I never have cooked chicken hanging around, and I never quite know the best or quickest way to cook the chicken breasts.  So, thus, this is perfect.

And of course, there are the tortilla chips, cheese and sour cream on top.  That's the best part.  And the fact that it makes tons of leftovers for N to take for lunches.

Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup
adapted from Table for Two

1 lb. chicken breasts
15 oz. corn kernels, drained
15 oz. diced tomatoes, drained
6 cups chicken broth
1 small onion, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, de-seeded and chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. lime juice
3.4 tsp. chili powder
2 tsp. cumin
1 1/2 tsp. salt
dash pepper
tortilla chips, cheese and sour cream for topping

Place all ingredients except the toppings into the crockpot.  Stir.  Cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 8 hours.

After cooking, remove the chicken breasts and shred them (I use two forks).

Return the chicken to the soup and stir.

Serve topped with chips, cheese and sour cream.

Serves 6-8.






Comments

Popular Posts