Grilling in the Spring

I had every intention of posting sometime this week about last Sunday.  NES and I had our first grilled meal of the spring.  My in-laws gave us a grill for Christmas, and we (well, NES) put it together and brought it out on the porch last weekend.  And it was such a nice spring day last Sunday.

And now I'm sitting here wondering how to write about the meal.  It was a full week ago now, and our lives were so different.  We had just spent Saturday celebrating with KEB's birthday with friends and the crazy cake.  And looking forward to NES's day off on Monday.

Then everything changed.  Maybe I'm over-dramatic or something, but somehow I always feel like things change entirely when there is a major disaster.  I just have a hard time even imagining how I thought before Monday.  It's weird to write about things from then.

But anyway, back to food.  Things are slowly going back to normal around here (or so it seems . . . ).
So, while NES was out at the grill cooking a steak with his own barbecue sauce, I went a little crazy with roasted veggies.
I made my favorite ever roasted potato recipe. DJR made it a looooong time ago in our apartment in college, and I have wanted to get the recipe for a few months now.  She sent it to me, and I made them once a month or so ago, but never blogged about them.

This time I took pictures!

They are actually quite easy.  I've been just getting the potatoes that are steamable in the microwave, which makes the whole recipe so much easier!  I just take a minute or so off of the time the directions say and steam them.

Then it's time to smash them!  I use a mug and make them flat.  I don't use the masher like the recipe says.



Then time it is time to bake them!

Meanwhile, I also made roasted parsnips.  I need to get CJC's recipe . . . I hear she makes tasty parsnip fries!  I just am boring and drizzle them with olive oil and sprinkle them with salt.

And I just roasted them at the same time as the potatoes -- I put them in for the last 20 minutes or so.

We had a great spring dinner.  It was a great way to spend the end of the weekend.

The grill was perfect, and NES did a great job with the steak!  Thanks to GS and PS for the grill!
And now it's back to homework and final projects I didn't get done during the craziness last week.



Roasted Baby Potatoes
adapted from Home Cooking Adventure

1-1 1/2 pounds baby potatoes (in a microwaveable steam bag)
salt and pepper
paprika
garlic powder
1/4 cup olive oil


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Steam the potatoes according to package directions, except for a minute or two less than the suggested time.  (Alternately, you can boil them for 10 minutes).

Whisk the oil, paprika and garlic in a small bowl while the microwaved potatoes cool.

When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, use a mug or cup to smash them.  Dip them into the oil mixture and place on a baking sheet.  Sprinkle them with salt and pepper.

Roast for 40-50 minutes or until golden and crispy.

Comments

  1. Be careful with that mug it's a family heirloom handed down from programer to programer for generations, of code.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts