Skillet Lasagna

Well, it's back to school and back to real life.  Yesterday started what will be an interesting semester for me. Things in my grad school career are changing.  I'll be finished all my required math courses at the end of this semester!  But then start comps.  And I'm also teaching every day this semester -- something I haven't done since student teaching!  It will be quite an adventure.

And somehow I had the notion that by the end of break I'd be caught up on blogging about meals I've made.  If anything, I think I'm further behind.  I guess that's how it goes.

So, here goes.

One day a week or two ago, I needed to decide what to make.  NES had been craving lasagna for days.  There is one thing you have to understand about the two of us and lasagna (well, a lot of meals), though.  When NES thinks of lasagna, he thinks of meat.  When I think of lasagna, I think of entirely veggies.  Very different ideas.  So, when I found a skillet lasagna recipe without too many veggies, it seemed like a good compromise.  It also didn't require all the preparation regular lasagna does, and doesn't make a giant panful!

So, I decided to try it.

Overall, it was pretty easy.  It was hard to break up the noodles without getting little pieces snapping off, and it was a little hard to evenly coat the noodles in the sauce.  But even so, it really did kind of seem like lasagna when I was eating it.  Maybe it was having to cut up the noodles that did it.

But, all that being said, it tasted awful good.  And I even put onions in.  And I couldn't find the dried basil or parsley, but somehow we have about a million jars of dried oregano.  So I used that instead.

Even NES gave it a pretty good review -- I think I'll use spaghetti sauce next time, instead of the diced tomatoes, for his sake.

Skillet Lasagna
adapted from the Realistic Nutritionist

1 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
approx 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can Italian-style diced tomatoes (or spaghetti sauce), drained
8 oz. canned tomato sauce
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. dried oregano
dash black pepper
1/2 cup low fat ricotta cheese
1/2 cup low fat mozzarella cheese
3 tbsp. Parmesan cheese
6 oz. lasagna noodles, in thirds and cooked
1 tsp. dried oregano

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add onions, cooking approximately 4 minutes, or until softened.

Add garlic and mushrooms, and cook about 1 minute.

Add diced tomatoes or spaghetti sauce, tomato sauce, 2 tsp. oregano, salt and pepper.  Cook mixture approximately 5 minutes, or until it begins to thicken.

Add fully cooked noodles to the skillet, and stir well  to coat the noodles.  Add ricotta cheese in scoops over the noodles.  Sprinkle with the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese, and the remaining oregano.

Cook for approximately 2 minutes, or until the cheese and tomato mixture is thick.

Makes 3-4 servings.

Comments

Popular Posts