Lemon-Blueberry Granola

So, after finding the "ultimate" pumpkin granola recipe, I decided it was time for a new granola quest.  This time the inspiration was wild blueberry honey that mom gave me when I moved into my new apartment.  I know the honey doesn't realy taste like blueberries, especially when baked into granola, but the blueberry gave me a flavor inspiration.  I was trying to think of something fun to go with blueberries, and I thought lemon.  I don't know if I regret that decision or not.  Anyway, it did come out well.  I'm just not so much a fan of citrus granola.


Anyway, this was all the way back on Tuesday.  This week was just one of those weeks that got really busy at the end.  And I just haven't had time to post.  So here goes.  My food week in summary.

Anyway, the granola started with this recipe.  I had to find a recipe with honey, since it was my original inspiration after all.  I actually found this while looking for that, but I decided I wanted to try my own thing.  So I did.


And it worked.  I'm just not so sure if I'm a fan.  


I am a fan however, of dried blueberries.  After reeling at the price of a bag of them, I found them in bulk and was able to get just enough for a reasonable price.  


I was looking for a grater to zest the lemon, and I was digging through my kitchen bin.  I totally forgot that my new microplane grater was in there.  It was quite a lovely find.  I have never so easily or quickly or thoroughly zested a lemon before.   It was glorious.
Oh, and just a note on honey-sweetened granolas: watch them carefully.  They like to burn.  


Lemon-Blueberry Granola


1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup canola oil
juice of 1 lemon
zest of 1 lemon
3 cups of oats
1 cup of wheat germ
dash of ginger
approx. 1 cup dried blueberries


Wisk honey, oil and lemon juice together and set aside. 


Combine oats, lemon zest and ginger in a large bowl.  


Add the honey mixture and stir well to coat the oats.  


Spread on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil or parchment paper.  Cook for 20 minutes at 300 degrees.  Stir, and return to the oven for 10-15 minutes.  


Add blueberries when cooled.






Then, I went to NES's for dinner -- we found cranberry cheddar cheese.  We were already planning on making paninis, and when I saw that I knew I had to have a cranberry-cheddar and apple panini. It was nothing short of amazing.


I might have had it again on Friday night.


And NES baked his first pie ever on Friday night!  It was so fun to bake together and teach him fun things like how to crimp a pie crust.  It was a fun evening of baking.


We made another . . . two chess pies.  We had two pie crusts and enough people to eat it, so we decided to go for two.  The only problem with that: it took a lot longer for the cooling step.


And NES's even ended up looking better than mine on his first try.  Mine kind of fell in on itself. 


Then came the making meringue part.  I pulled out the old mixer, and it's now sitting in NES's kitchen.  It looks so good in there.  It totally matches the cabinets.  But, I have to say pulling it out again made me nostalgic, and it was weird just leaving it there.  


I was a little worried about the meringue because it was taking so long to stiffen, but it did.  Look at that meringue.  
Of course, to make a very interesting choice of Thanksgiving pie more appropriate, we added turkeys on the top.  Much more festive.
Phew.  It was a busy week.  And this was just a warm up.  The real cooking fun comes next week . . . 

Comments

Popular Posts