Applesauce, the New Edition

So, it's Tuesday night.  And all my homework for the week is due tomorrow.  But after finishing 12+ pages of proofs this afternoon, I decided it was time for a break.  This is how I plan to keep my sanity through this year.

And this break may have involved, well, cooking, and an impromptu viewing of Julie and Julia.  I was thinking of a movie, but I was kind of saving Julie and Julia to watch with NES sometime -- he hasn't seen it yet!  But, then, I just decided it needed to happen tonight.  It's not like I don't watch movies over and over anyway.

See, NES came last night and made me amazing beef stroganoff for dinner.  It was so good.  And so buttery.  I don't cook with much butter (much to the horror of my great-grandmother, if she were still alive), and buttery is generally synonymous with flaky pastry or something like that for me.  However, this was definitely a buttery sauce.  And I couldn't help but think that this is what Julia Child's recipes must be like.  Hence, the need to watch Julie and Julia.

Anyway, my cooking tonight didn't involve any butter.  Nor was it anything close to beef stroganoff in proportion.  But it does smell awfully good.

I made applesauce.  I found a new recipe to try.  I like my old recipe, don't get me wrong.  But it was time to try something new.
I had a bunch of apples left that I had in my fridge before we went apple picking.  And I ate the last of the amazing Spencer apples today.  So, I decided the now soft-ish late season apples (local, but not hand-picked) in my fridge wouldn't be AS good for eating.  So I made applesauce out of them.  It's kind of like a second life for apples.  Yum.

So, I used 6 apples instead of 2.  I was planning on doubling it, but I ended up with small apples, so I used six.  And I'm glad I did.  I feel like I'm not going to even get 3 real servings as it is.  Oh, and I simmered it for more like 20 minutes instead of 10.
It was really sweet -- I guess I'm used to applesauce that isn't sweetened.  The maple flavor really comes through, though.  Yum.
I ate it with more leftover shells from this weekend.  Still yummy, even for the third meal.
Oh, and I found another fun antique cookbook this weekend at the church fair.  I've been so busy I haven't had time to look at it yet, but I have a long weekend this week.  Yay for (potential) time!

Comments

Popular Posts