Autumn Chicken

It feels weird to be blogging on a Monday night.  But I guess that's another good thing about long weekends.  It's not unheard of to be done with all my Wednesday homework on Monday night, but it certainly doesn't feel like normal.

Anyway, I actually cooked tonight, and now I face the dilemma of whether to eat the last piece of cake from this weekend or not.  I mean, I'll eventually be consuming all the calories anyway . . . so splitting it into two nights really doesn't make that much of a difference . . . and it will free up more space in my fridge.  Mmmmm.  It's really good cake.  It's leftover from engagement party #2 this weekend.  Thanks to PS, GS and ZNS for another fun party!

So, yes.  Cooking this evening.  I've been planning on making this since . . . well, probably the beginning of October.  And I finally just got a sweet potato a week or so ago, and that forced me to make it before the potato went bad.  I mean, it's definitely a fall recipe, after all.  And Thanksgiving is coming fast! So I made it this week.  I'm actually supposed to be here enough to eat the leftovers too, amazingly!

If I were ever to need to convince someone to like sweet potatoes in one meal, this is the meal I would make.  I fed it to CJC (and I really thought I had blogged about it, but I can't find it now . . . ), and silly me didn't ask her if she likes sweet potatoes.  Anyway, she was brave enough to eat it and told me after, "I don't usually do sweet potatoes, but this was really good!"  I personally don't understand why people don't like sweet potatoes.  They are so good.

Oh, and you will have to forgive me if I have blogged about this.  I couldn't find it.  And surprisingly enough, I no longer have an alphabetical list of the recipes I've blogged about floating about in my head.  After a year +, I just don't remember anymore.  Although, I'd like to blame grad school.  What isn't grad school's fault?

The other best thing about this dish is that it's a one skillet dish.  It's so easy.  Oh, and it's really colorful.

I was afraid I didn't have any rosemary, but I found it.  That would have been a problem, since the rosemary adds a lot of flavor and it's my second favorite herb.  This recipe happens to have thyme in it too . . . Maybe that's why I like this chicken so much.

Golden Chicken and Autumn Vegetables
from Swanson


1 tsp. vegetable oil
2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 clove minced garlic
1/2 tsp. rosemary leaves
1/4 tsp. thyme
1 large sweet potato, cubed into 1/2 inch chunks
1 cup green beans (I chop them!)

Heat oil in a 10 inch skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the chicken and cook 10 minutes, flipping occasionally, until the chicken is browned (but not necessarily cooked through).  Remove the chicken and set aside.

Increase to high heat, and add the broth, garlic, thyme, rosemary, potatoes and green beans.  Heat to a boil and cook for 5 minutes.

Return the chicken and reduce to low heat.  Then cover and cook for 12 minutes, or until potatoes are soft and chicken is cooked through.


 Served with applesauce?  It doesn't get much more "fall" than that!

Comments

Popular Posts