Zucchini Quesadillas

It's the end.  Tomorrow is the last day of student teaching.  I can't believe it.  It seems like it was yesterday that I just went to the school for the first time.  I realized today as I started to say goodbye that I'm going to miss my students.  More than I thought.  Oh my goodness.  And then on Friday, I jump into teaching a whole new group of students.  Without cooperating teacher supervision.  Scary.  Nothing like jumping right in.

Oh and then there's the living in "grad school limbo" . . . but that's another story.  Apparently this just can't be easy.

For the moment though, I feel like I'm, well, freer than I was.  But I won't be free for a few weeks yet.  Oh well.

Last night NES was here and we made quesadillas.  Super simple.  And quick.

What I love about quesadillas, just like omelettes, is that you can pretty much put anything you have in them.  Well, within reason.  Like cheese and vegetables.  One of my personal favorites happens to be summer squash and zucchini.

Actually, a summer squash and zucchini quesadilla was how I discovered that I like Mexican food.  Thus, they have my favor.
We could only get packages of 2-3 squash at the grocery store though, so I ended up with baby zucchini.  Who knew that such a thing even existed!   I certainly didn't.  They were a little more bitter than your average zucchini.  I would have preferred regular, honestly.  But it worked.

So, I sauteed my baby zucchini in a little oil with some oregano for 3-5 minutes, basically until they got somewhat soft (although not mushy).
Then, NES put a tortilla into a frying pan with a tiny bit of oil, and put cheese over half of it.  We ended up letting the cheese melt a little . . . sort of by accident . . . then put the zucchini on top.
To get the characteristic quesadilla shape, you then fold it over and let it cook 2-3 minutes per side, or until the outside is sufficiently golden and the cheese is gooey.
Thank goodness that simple meals can taste just as good!  Because sometimes, that's just all there's time for.

Comments

Popular Posts