Bruschetta

I finally had time to cook again.  On what was (I hope) the most stressful day of the semester or maybe even college.  I love waiting to hear about multiple different things that heavily influence my life for the next 2 months to 5 years.  And dealing with drama.  And trying to finish student teaching.  All at once.  It’s great fun. 

Anyway, this meal was about as complex as I could deal with yesterday.  Granted, if I had time, maybe cooking would have been a good distraction . . .

Chicken Bruschetta
From Good Housekeeping

2 cloves garlic
Olive oil
2 chicken breasts
1 lb. tomatoes, chopped
5-6 large basil leaves, chopped
1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
Bread of your choice

Heat oil in a skillet.  Mince or press 1 clove of garlic into the oil and cook the chicken until cooked through.

Meanwhile, mix tomatoes, basil, vinegar, ½ tsp. olive oil and a pinch of salt.

When chicken is cooked through, transfer to a cutting board and slice.

Cut the other clove of garlic in half and rub cut ends on bread.  Heat a small amount of oil in a skillet and grill the bread for 1 minute, turning once.



It was good.  I actually didn’t use chicken.  I decided it was time to try the fake grilled chicken that’s always near the veggie burgers.  I love veggie burgers, and I’ve been told the chicken is good before.  I actually kept forgetting I wasn’t eating chicken.  It was kind of crazy, and super convenient, as I just had to heat it and didn’t have to deal with raw meat.  Raw meat is not my favorite thing. 
I also found this really cool foccacia bread at the grocery store that was mostly baked, but you finish it in the oven.  It was really good, and it went perfectly with the bruschetta. 
Also, this recipe is pretty easy to make into a meal for multiple nights.  I made the tomato mixture for 2 servings, but only cooked enough chicken for one night.  I’ll make the chicken and toast more bread when I’m ready to finish the tomato mixture.  That’s just plain convenient.  Convenience is something I treasure right now. 
Now, if only it were tomato season . . . 

Comments

Popular Posts