Frosted Chocolate Cheerios Treats

Ok, so I'm a little out of order here.  The reason this dessert came into being was actually a mistake that came amongst my snow day baking.  And, well, I just haven't gotten around to posting about that particular adventure yet.  Well, I'll put it this way: powdered sugar is in the name of my snow day creation.  I tried to take regular sugar and turn it into powdered sugar.  I'd heard it was possible with some blending/food processing and a little corn starch.
I think my major problem was that I started with coarser sugar.  It had kind of a little bit of a brown sugar-like flavor when I tried to powder it.  It also apparently didn't get fine enough (again, probably because I started with coarser sugar -- it ended up about like standard sugar.  Oops.), because when I tried to make a frosting/filling out of it, it kind of looked like paste.

And I was really excited about the frosting.  I'm kind of a frosting fanatic.  So I decided it was time to get some real powdered sugar and try again.  Which left me with a bowl of . . . vaguely cookie dough-like grainy substance.

So, I decided I'd add some mini chocolate chips and make it into a cookie dough frosting.  Sounds legitimate, right?

Now.  What to put it on?  Enter a box of Chocolate Cheerios.

Decision: coat said Chocolate Cheerios in butter and marshmallows and make "Rice Krispy" Treats out of them.

Late at night.

During the opening ceremonies of the Olympics.

(Sorry for the lackluster cell phone photography.)

The idea was then to cut them into bars and stuff them with the cookie dough frosting.

Because I used vegan (non-gelatin) marshmallows, the bars turned out hard and solid instead of the typical priable, but solid texture of the average Rice Krispy treat.  So cutting them in half didn't go amazingly well, but hey.  They aren't the prettiest things to begin with, so it's not noticeable.

The general verdict was that they tasted a little like milk and cereal bars.  I think I might add a little cocoa powder to the marshmallow mixture next time, since the chocolate didn't come through very much in the bars themselves.


Frosted Chocolate Cheerios Treats
Cheerios Treats adapted from Cooks.com

6-8 cups Chocolate Cheerios (depending on how marshmallow-y you like your bars.  I like mine pretty marshmallowy!)
1/4 cup butter
10 oz. marshmallows (small or large)

Frosting:
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 1/4 cup sugar
4-6 tbsp. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
approx. 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips


Grease a 11x7 inch pan.  Melt the butter in a large (trust me, you want large) saucepan.  Add the marshmallows and stir until melted.

Quickly, add the Cheerios and stir (gently and carefully!) to coat in marshmallow mixture.

Press into the pan and allow to harden/set.

Meanwhile, cream the softened butter.  Add the sugar slowly.  It should end up being a stiff and almost crumbly mixture.

Add the milk 1 tbsp. at a time, beating after each addition, until the mixture is spreadable and looks almost like soft cookie dough.  Add the vanilla.  Stir in the chocolate chips.

Flip the cereal mixture onto a cutting board.  Cut into bars.

Cut each bar in half as if you were going to form a sandwich with it.  Frost one of the cut sides, and replace the top.  Alternately, if you make thinner bars and cannot or do not want to cut them in half, frost the top.

Comments

Popular Posts