Red Velvet Cookies

So last last Tuesday night (I told you I was falling behind!!), I had a late meeting at school.  After making NES wait until after 8 pm for dinner the previous Tuesday because of a similar meeting, I told him to make dinner and eat without me.  Then, after my meeting, I stayed around to talk to my fellow grad students, and (at NES's encouragement, I'll have you know) went grocery shopping for cookie ingredients.
See, KEB sent me a pin on Pinterest for red velvet cookies, and there was just no resisting.  I just had to make them.  Especially since I hadn't done much baking during break.  I had to do it.

Then I came in the door to NES waiting with dinner on the stove.  He surprised me with a really tasty beef teriyaki stir fry loosely based on my chicken version.  I did feel bad for being so late, though.  Oops.  It is always nice to have dinner waiting, so I won't complain!
So, then, I made the cookies.  It was late, but that's ok.
But I didn't want a whole batch of cookies sitting around.  Especially since we still have Christmas candy/cookies/sweets sitting around.  Dilemmas.
The cookies had to chill.  Since it was already later than I would have liked, I might have cheated a little with the first two.  I baked them in the toaster oven without letting them chill.  Oops.
They still came out pretty well, in my opinion!
And then, after the rest chilled (and I stayed up late to  finish the laundry), I rolled the dough into balls and froze them on cookie sheets.
The next morning, I had a whole batch of frozen cookie dough balls.  Now, they are just waiting for me to pop them in the oven (or toaster oven). Fresh cookies, on demand!
How convenient.
And they are amazingly soft, chewy, amazing cookies.  They were that good.  I had a hard time not pulling more out the next night.  And the next night.  And the night after that.

Oh, and did you know that red velvet m &m's exist??  They do!  I finally tracked them down at Walmart!
On a completely unrelated note, here's Friday night's project.  This is one of my favorite quotes!


Red Velvet Cookies 
from Sally's Baking Addiction

1 1/2 cups + 1 tbsp. flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder (unsweetened)
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tbsp. milk
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 1/2 tsp. red food coloring
1 cup chocolate chips, plus a few for sprinkling

Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.

Beat the butter in a mixer on high speed until creamy, or about 1 minute.

With the mixer on medium speed, add both sugars and mix until combined.

Add the egg, milk and vanilla and scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary.  Add the food color and beat until incorporated.

Add the dry ingredients, and beat on low until a soft dough forms.  Add more food coloring, if you'd like redder cookies.  Beat in the chocolate chips on low.  It will be a sticky dough.

Cover tightly, and chill for at least 1 hour (unless you are desperate and it's late!).  The original blog claims that chilling is mandatory, and I'm sure they come out better.

Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

Roll about 1 1/2 tbsp. of dough into a ball and place on the parchment lined baking sheet.  Bake for 10-11 minutes.  Press down on the warm cookies to slightly flatten them and form crinkles, especially if the balls have only spread slightly.

While they are still warm, add a few more chocolate chips on to the top and allow to melt.

Allow cookies to cool for 5 minutes before moving to a rack to cool completely.

OR, place the rolled balls onto a cookie sheet and place in the freezer.  Once the dough is frozen, transfer to a bag or container.  The balls can be frozen for up to 2 months, then do not need to be thawed, just add 1-2 minutes to the baking time.

Comments

Popular Posts