Comfort Food (a.k.a More Mac and Cheese)

Before we start talking about food, can we please talk about slippers?

I have not been a slipper person in many, many years. See, I loved slippers when I was a kid, but when L.L. Bean stopped making my slippers of choice, I kinda gave up on them. Slowly. To the point where I never wore slippers at all.  Then, I started wearing them occasionally just because our apartment is always cold.

But then last week, I went to breakfast with mom and found slippers afterwards. And they have barely left my feet since. Because what is better than a cozy, fashionable, comfy slipper?  I've even been wearing them at school since it's so quiet there during break. So yeah, slippers. With matching socks even.

And now, I conveniently change topics abruptly to food. But, it is comfort food, after all, so it totally counts. Because eating mac and cheese while wearing slippers: it doesn't get much more comfort than that.

Last weekend, after the zucchini pizza, I kind of went on a little cooking spree.  I guess that's probably because I finally had the time. I've been at school basically full time the last couple weeks, and NES has taken on a lot of the cooking for me. Because he is just great like that. And probably a little bit because he wanted to eat before 8 pm.  Even that didn't always happen. Oops.

Anyway, we also had a rare weekend to ourselves. (Woah.)

So after a day of exploring,

bagels by the river,

a crazy bookstore,

 and a visit to Whole Foods for baby kale (another story for another day), I made some easy stove top mac and cheese.


I had never made mac and cheese with muenster before, and it made for some pretty mild mac and cheese.  It was definitely tasty, just less cheesy.

The sauce also never really thickened. It did to a certain extent, but not as much as I thought.  It still tasted fine.  I also used penne because NES isn't a huge macaroni fan.  And because that's what we could find.

And for something that took about as long as a box of mac and cheese, it was pretty good. Too bad I didn't have my slippers yet!


Stove Top Mac and Cheese
from Food Fanatic

1 1/2 cups macaroni or 2 cups penne
3/4 cup milk, plus 2 tbsp. (divided)
1 tbsp. flour
1 cup muenster, grated
1/4 sharp cheddar cheese, grated
salt and pepper

Bring the (salted) water for the noodles to a boil in a medium saucepan.  Meanwhile, grate the cheese.

Cook the noodles according to package instructions.

Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat 3/4 cup of milk.  Watch for steam to rise from the surface, but do not let it boil.

In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining 2 tbsp. of milk and the flour.  Add the flour and milk mixture to the steaming milk.   Stir gently, until the mixture begins to thicken.  Add the cheeses and remove from heat.

Stir until the cheese melts and add salt and pepper to taste.

Drain the noodles and return to the cooking pot.  Add the cheese sauce and stir to coat.  Serve immediately.  Serves 2.

Comments

Popular Posts