Pumpkin Muffins

Where has the past week gone?!

Well, I guess I know where it went.  Last weekend was spent with both families -- the S family had their Thanksgiving celebration and the M family headed to a 90th birthday party.  And, having not learned how to be in two places at once yet, I was not at both.  I was at the birthday party.  But I've had leftover turkey sandwiches!!  Thanks, GWS and PLS (and to NES, my supplier)!

Here's the birthday girl and guest of honor!
Then, NES and I headed to see PAM and MS and had dinner with them!  This kind of says it all:
And I got my bread fix!

And then I had Monday and Wednesday right in a row at school.  That means two long, long days in a row.  Who ever decided it was a good idea to play around with scheduling?  But at least the crazy days are over for this semester!

So, yeah.  No cooking for me.  Or baking.  Maybe tomorrow.  We'll see.

But.  Well, yeah.  After CJC, AB and I made the pumpkin chocolate chip pancakes, CJC was pinning pumpkin muffin recipes to use up the leftovers from the pancake-making.  And I just had to make some.
I made itty bitty ones!  They made a great snack to have around.  And a great breakfast.  Because a muffin is a breakfast food, no matter how much chocolate there is, right? And . . . well, they never did make it to NES's coworkers.
Since I usually keep some pumpkin on hand and had just bought wheat flour, I thought I had everything.  I conveniently forgot that I had used up the baking soda to make pretzel chicken sausages.  Oops.  It was late, so I didn't want to go out to buy any, so, well, I discovered that it's possible to substitute baking powder for baking soda.  I don't know if I'd do it all the time, but for these muffins, using 3 times the amount of baking powder for the baking soda they called for actually didn't seem like it changed the flavor.  I was pretty happy.  I might have also added more chocolate chips, just in case.
Aren't they cute?


Mini Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
from Skinnytaste

1/2 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup white flour
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
2 tbsp. canola oil
2 egg whites
2 tsp. vanilla
2/3 cup chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Line the mini muffin tin with liners and slightly spray the liners with baking spray.  (It does help!)

Whisk the wheat flour, white flour, sugar, baking soda, spices and salt in a medium bowl.

Beat the pumpkin, oil, egg whites and vanilla on medium speed until thick.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and beat on low speed.  Don't over mix.

Fold in the chocolate chips by hand.

Fill the muffin cups and bake for 22-24 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Allow to cool for 15 minutes.

Comments

Popular Posts