Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookies

This weekend ended up a little different than I expected.  I was supposed to go to celebrate with MF and company before her wedding, but that didn't work out.  So instead we had a little spontaneous get together with a few people in the afternoon.  I made lots of pizza.  And I meant to make dessert.  But I forgot.  Oops.  I got distracted.

So, instead I got up on Sunday morning and determined to make cookies.  For the church picnic.  I couldn't bear to buy a dessert.  I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

It's hard to believe how hard it is to find a basic oatmeal cookie recipe.  Oatmeal coconut.  Apple Gouda Oatmeal.  Salted White Chocolate Oatmeal.  Rum Raisin Oatmeal.  I just wanted a basic oatmeal cookie.

I did finally find one.  And I approve.  It was a good option.

It made a lot of cookies . . . I think I made them too small.  I got 5 1/2 dozen out of a batch instead of 3 1/2.  I always seem to do that.  I always make my cookies too small.  Next time, I will make them bigger.

My oatmeal cookie secret is cinnamon chips.  I accidentally discovered the combination in college.  I used to swear by the Betty Crocker Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk mix.  It was my go to cookie for many years.  One day when I went to the store, they only had plain Oatmeal mix, no Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk.  So I was going to get the oatmeal and add chocolate chunks myself.  But I saw cinnamon chips instead.  They came out amazingly, and I have been on the lookout for cinnamon chips ever since.

Thankfully, I had some on hand for my last minute Sunday morning cookie baking.  They kind of melt into the cookies.  And it's amazing.  Ask NES.  NES can tell you.  He had a couple before church, while they were still warm.  I did too.  Good thing it made so many.

And they were even better because they actually made a dent in my giant container of quick oats that I got accidentally for making granola.  Oops.  But it's significantly less now!  And they were great with homemade cookies instead of a mix.
I did learn one thing about cookies for potlucks, though.  These look pretty "plain" on the outside.  There is no chocolate showing.  No fancy frosting.  Nothing to make them look interesting.  So not many got eaten.  We'll be happy to eat the ones we saved out!  


Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookies
adapted slightly from Cozy.Cottage.Cute.

1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
3 cups quick-cooking oats
3/4 cup cinnamon chips


Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Using a mixer, cream together the butter, shortening, sugar and vanilla.  Beat in the eggs one at a time.  Add the flour, salt and baking soda.

Add the oatmeal and cinnamon chips.

Drop the dough by teaspoonfuls (or tablespoonfuls) onto an ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown around the edges.

Allow them to cool on a rack.

Comments

Popular Posts