Well, Then Again . . .

April Fools!  We didn't actually cheat yesterday!  And that wasn't really a cake!

It was actually (drum roll please . . . )

Paleo meatloaf!  With skinny mashed potato frosting!

If you are keeping track, this is quite the opposite of last year's prank: last year I made "shepherd's pie" (ew) and it was actually rice kripsie treats.  This year, the "cake" was actually meatloaf!  Symmetry!

I actually did not eat the said meatloaf.  Because still.  Ew.  NES approved, however, and says it's just as good as regular meatloaf!  So I guess it's good.

I made them in my little cake pans.  I got three layers out of a pound of meat.  They didn't stay together as well as a cake, though, so I stuck with a two-layer cake.

The mashed potatoes were easy, and didn't have any butter or dairy in them!  I'm looking forward to the leftovers with stew on Friday!  Mom used to make mashed potatoes like this occasionally when I was a kid, and I have always liked them this way.  Also, I think this was the first time I've ever made mashed potatoes.  I'm not sure how I got along this long without making them!

I learned from the experience that I should have waited for the potatoes to cool before trying to frost with them.  Who knew!?  I guess now I know for next time?

Anyway, that's how I got a meatloaf and mashed potato cake.  And how we didn't cheat!


Paleo Meatloaf 
adapted from Stay Fit Mom

1 lb. ground beef
2 tbsp. egg, beaten (crack the egg into a small bowl, beat it and measure the 2 tbsp.)
1/2 small onion
1 clove garlic
1/3 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1/4 cup tapioca flour, almond flour or almond meal
1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning or oregano
dash paprika
dash salt
dash pepper

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Mix together all the ingredients in a large bowl.

Place the meatloaf into a greased pan (a loaf pan will work if you don't want a cake!)

Bake for 45 mins. - 1 hour (depending on the size of the pan), or  until the middle is no longer pink.

Remove from the pans.


Skinny Mashed Potatoes 
from Campbell's Kitchen

3 1/2 cups chicken broth
5 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
salt and pepper, to taste

Place the potatoes and broth into a 4-quart saucepan and bring to a boil.

Reduce to medium heat, cover and cook for about 10 minutes.  Potatoes should be tender.

Drain the potatoes, reserving the broth.

Add 1 1/4 cups of broth back to the potatoes, and mash.  Add additional broth as desired to reach the right consistency.   Add salt and pepper, to taste.


If desired, allow the mashed potatoes to cool somewhat, and place the meatloaf on a cake stand.  Frost as you would a cake!  Top with coarse salt, if desired.

    P.S. The kiwi berries were 100% real!  If you know anything about my photo editing skills (if not, that's ok, I don't either . . . ) you know I couldn't have made that look real.

    Comments

    Popular Posts