Ginger Scones, finally.

Ok, so I made these scones this past weekend . . . and barely even had time to put the pictures on my computer, much less write about them too. But here I am, finally "relaxing" and holed up in the library (thank goodness for libraries with wi-fi!) between school and parent-teacher conferences. It wasn't worth it to drive all the way back to school in between. So here I am. At the library. It's been a long time since I've been in a public library, which is sad since my mom is a librarian.

Anyway, scones. I found these scones a while ago and saved them for a Sunday school breakfast. I was a little nervous because I know ginger can be one of those things that people either love or hate, but it went over ok. Phew.
The last time I made scones, they were a low-calorie variation recipe . . . and they weren't quite right. They just didn't have the right consistency. Even though they were tasty, they just weren't right. These, on the other hand, were quintessential scones.

I had never used fresh ginger before. I actually had to look up how to work with it. I'm still not 100% convinced that it was worth it, but I suppose that I would be more convinced if I tasted this without the fresh ginger.
Really, the scones were easy. The parts that took the longest were chopping up the candied ginger,
and grating the fresh ginger. I ended up using a nutmeg grater. That might just be a kitchen faux-pas, but it was the best thing I had to work with.
Anyway, there are no eggs in them, just buttermilk and butter (healthy stuff!) and that's probably a bad thing, because somehow that makes it ok to "sample" the batter. It 's good. I'll tell you that much.
Zesting a lemon isn't my favorite thing either. It makes things taste better though.
I'm also horrible at dividing things evenly. So they were all different sizes. I would suggest flattening the balls on a cutting board. I didn't and I had to be super careful not to scratch the counter when I cut them. Oh well. It worked.
And an inch isn't far enough apart on the baking sheet. They puff up quite a bit. It was like scone twelve-tuplets when I pulled them out of the oven.
These scones are dense and good and just ginger-y enough. Not too overwhelming. Good. Basically.

Comments

Popular Posts