Happy {Belated} National Pancake Day!

So, I hear it was national pancake day.  I'm pretty sure it was only because IHOP made it up, but it doesn't take much convincing to get me to celebrate most food holidays!  I mean, who needs an excuse to eat more pancakes?

(On another note, I was looking briefly into this whole30 trend thing, and one of the things they harp on is NO PANCAKES of any sort, paleo or no.  So much pancake hate (as I went to go make them.  Should that be telling me something?).) (And yes, I just used parentheses within parentheses.  Yeah.)

And then just to make everything over the top, I went for glazed doughnut pancakes.  Yeah, that. (If I hadn't, it would have been red velvet with frosting or oreo, so there was really no healthy option on the table.)

First came the batter.  It was a fairly normal recipe for pancakes, except I didn't have applesauce, and I was running out of oil, so I kinda just guessed and used what I had.

And reading the ingredients closely is always a good plan.  Using 3 1/2 tsp. of baking soda instead of baking powder made pancakes that tasted slightly like pretzels.  At least around the edges.  Add the glaze syrup and they tasted just fine.

The glaze was buttery gooey amazing.  I would probably only make half next time, since it did make an awful lot, but I mean, having glaze hanging around in the fridge?  I won't complain.

The pancakes are actually remarkably easy to make into doughnut shapes.  Even with them expanding like crazy because of all that baking soda.  The batter is thick enough that you can put it into a ziplock bag, snip the corner, and it doesn't all just pour out all over the place.  I  had visions of that happening, and it wasn't pretty.  The only part that was a little messy was putting the bag down between batches.  Also, my cool pancake flipper pan was perfect for them!

Slightly crazy and over the top?  Yes.  Am I going to make them for breakfast?  Probably not (I do have some breakfast standards!  Although for a birthday . . . ).  Fun for a night-in movie night and food holiday?  Definitely.



Doughnut Pancakes with Glaze Syrup
from Cooking Classy

Glaze syrup:
1/4 cup butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.  Once it is melted, add the powdered sugar, salt and milk, and whisk until the sugar is dissolved.

Add the baking soda and whisk for about 30 seconds or until the mixture becomes frothy.  Remove from heat.

Mix in the vanilla extract.  Serve warm over the pancakes.  Refrigerate leftovers up to one week.


Pancakes:
2 1/2 cups flour
3 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/3 cups milk
2 eggs
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 tbsp. applesauce
3 tbsp. sugar
oil for brushing/spraying griddle.

Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.

Mix together the milk, eggs, vegetable oil, applesauce and sugar in another bowl.

Add to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined (some lumps are ok).

Pour about half the batter into a sandwich- or quart-sized ziplock bag.  Seal the bag.

Heat a griddle.  Spray or brush generously with oil.  Cut a corner off the ziplock bag (the hole should be 1/2-1 inch across).

Pipe doughnut-sized circles onto the griddle.  Use the first couple as  practice to see how big the hole needs to be in order to stay open.

When the first side is golden (and there are bubbles and a little dry-looking batter around the edge), flip the pancake and cook until golden.  Repeat until all batter is used.

Serve with warm glaze syrup and sprinkles!  Serves about 4.

Comments

Popular Posts