Homemade Ramen

And here I am getting behind again.  I had an exam last week, and an extremely busy weekend, so I blame that.

If you've been reading since this summer, you probably realize I have a slight new-found obsession with ramen.  I'm not really sure how I didn't realize that until July.  We even have ramen spoon/chopstick combos!  But anyway.

I've tried making it twice now at home, and the first time was kind of a, well, flop.  It was kinda bland, and I used dried mushrooms for the first time, and didn't cook them right.  So yeah, not so good.

The second time was a dramatic improvement.  It's still no replacement for the real stuff, but I made one evening after making a butternut squash lasagna, a pan of (easy) fudge, caramel popcorn snack mix, pumpkin dip, hollowing a pumpkin, and cleaning the bathroom.  So you know it couldn't have been too hard.  Even if you think I'm crazy sometimes.  

By the way, all that stuff is for another day.  Today, we talk ramen.

However, maybe the fact that I only have one picture is a good indication of the day's busy-ness level.

Besides not having to worry about making dried mushrooms palatable this time, I also think that finding the right kind of noodles really helped.  They were hiding from me waaaay on the bottom shelf.

Because I didn't have any leftover chicken, I made some chicken specifically for the soup.  I sauteed it with some olive oil, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes to taste.

Before I did that though, I sauteed some frozen corn, then some fresh spinach with garlic and soy sauce (my way of making cooked spinach palatable!).

Then it basically all went into bowls with noodles cooked in chicken broth and sriracha (since I don't keep miso paste on hand)!  Easy!

Also, feel free to top with soft-boiled eggs.  Neither of us is a fan of runny eggs.  Well, one of us isn't a fan of eggs in any form.  So anyway, I skipped that.

See why I could make it after all that other stuff?  Oh, and as leftovers, it tastes like a healthier version of packaged ramen noodles!



Roasted Chicken Ramen
adapted slightly from How Sweet It Is

1/2 tbsp. butter
1 cup sweet corn (frozen is fine)
1 tbsp. olive oil
8 oz. fresh spinach
1 clove garlic, pressed
1 tbsp. soy sauce (or to taste)
1 qt. chicken broth or stock
1 tsp. sriracha or red miso paste
6 oz. ramen noodles (I found them labelled "Japanese curly noodles")
6 oz. cooked chicken (sauteed with salt, pepper and red pepper, if you don't have any on hand!)
sesame oil, to drizzle

In a small saucepan (or a small frying pan, if you're cooking the chicken), melt the butter and add the corn.  Stir to coat.  Pour the corn into a bowl.

Add the olive oil into the pan if there is no remaining butter, and add the spinach and garlic.  Stir until the spinach begins to wilt, and add the soy sauce.  When the spinach is wilted, add to the bowl with the corn.

Now, cook the chicken if necessary.

Meanwhile, heat the broth until it is boiling.  Stir in the sriracha/miso paste.  Add the noodles and cook according to package directions.

Spoon the noodles into bowls, then top with corn, spinach, chicken and broth.  Drizzle each serving with sesame oil.

Serves 3-4.

Comments

Popular Posts