Apple Cider Doughnut Ice Cream

NES and I have had a very apple-y week.  Or week plus one day.  Close enough.

Last Friday afternoon (when I probably should have been starting homework . . . ), I ended up going apple picking with NES instead.  After several warm and humid days, it was lovely fall weather, and we checked out a small, new-to-us orchard nearby.

Again, it took us about 10 minutes to fill two half peck bags with about six different varieties.

A fruit drawer full of apples is one of life's simple pleasures.

I've been enjoying the apples with my lunches.  Yum.  I haven't had time to bake with them yet.

Our apple-y week continued today, but in the mean time, we celebrated mom M's and dad M's birthdays at the restaurant we got married at with MJM, SJM and Gram.  There were even scarecrows (mostly Frozen themed . . . ) to celebrate with us!

Then, after a busy week, LSB and I made her first bread!  It came out great!  It made for a fun afternoon of baking and chatting.
Today filled out the apple-y week, with another cider press!  It  was the same one RB and JAB invited us to last year, but this year, I was apparently part of the experienced group!  

There was a new press this year, apparently intended for grapes, but just as useful for pressing small apples.  The smashing part happened where the wooden funnel is, then the bucket could just be moved down and pressed.

The cider drained right out the end!  It was pretty cool.  RB and I were often working this press -- and getting our arm work out, since it was run by a crank!  HFK also joined us, and helped out with our little helper.  She was determined, and I think she worked just as hard as any of us!

NES and I also wandered downtown after dark to see the Jack-o-lantern festival!

To finish off the fall-themed day that today was, we had apple cider doughnut sundaes!

We had leftover apple cider doughnuts from our apple picking adventure, and since our favorite ice cream place closed early this year, there was no apple cider doughnut ice cream to be had.  So I took matters into my own hands and made some!

I used the same recipe I used for NES's birthday, but with different mix-ins.  I think it competes (almost!) with the ice cream place, but with a slightly different texture.  What can I say?  I am a fan of no churn ice cream!

I knew I wanted a sweet, but spiced base besides the doughnut crumbles, so I actually added Biscoff spread.  I've decided it tastes surprisingly like carrot (or spice) cake!

Add it on top of the last two doughnuts, slightly warm with whipped cream?  Yes, please!





Apple Cider Doughnut Ice Cream
Adapted from Picky Palate

1 cup heavy cream
7 oz. sweetened condensed milk
1 tbsp. vanilla
2 apple cider doughnuts, crumbled
2 tbsp. Biscoff cookie butter

Whip the heavy cream into whipped cream.  Carefully fold in the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla until uniform.

Add the crumbled doughnuts and cookie butter, and mix until uniformly mixed, and pour into a freezer-proof container.

Freeze overnight, or until set.


Comments

Popular Posts