Cooking Adventures and Cornbread

So, I guess I knew that it had to happen some day.  I knew someday there'd be THE cooking accident.  I guess it had to happen eventually.  There I was, innocently slicing potatoes.  And then my thumb was cut.  Oops.

Thankfully NES was home and took me to the ER.  Two and a half hours, six stitches and a bright yellow bandage with bumble bees on it later, everything was remedied.  I just can't wait to have my thumb back.

And then on Sunday during the Super Bowl, I finally cooked those potatoes.  Seeing as I was cutting the very last one when I cut myself, I saved them.  It didn't seem worth it to throw them all away, even if it did have some bad memories attached.  But, I will say that it was nice to make them taste yummy and eat them.  And KEB, JK and NES even ate them with me.

And, well, I still have a lot of catching up to do, but I made an appetizer for a girls' night potluck on Saturday with one thumb.  So I kind of feel like it is only appropriate to talk about that while talking about my thumb.

First of all, this appetizer involved jalapenos.  Which meant I needed to seed and de-vein 10 jalapenos with one hand and 4 fingers.  That was fun.  I don't ever really want to have to seed more than one jalapeno at a time again.  So, no more stuffed jalapenos for me!  At least not any time soon.

When I brought the jalapenos to the potluck, all the other ladies mentioned that hot peppers and stitches are probably not the best combination.  Thankfully, it was really well wrapped, and since it was not supposed to get wet, I was being super careful about it.  So, it wasn't a problem.  My face on the other hand, was still burning the next day when I touched it.

Thankfully the recipe called for boxed cornbread mix.  Honestly, if I had to measure all the flour and cornmeal and everything, I don't think I would have had the motivation to make them.

But seriously.  They had cornbread, cheese and corn in them.  They looked so good, I just couldn't resist.

I also started with a few less jalapenos than the recipe called for, thinking I'd make a few mini muffins for HFK, who doesn't like jalapenos much.  And hey, it was an excuse to use my new mini cupcake maker from BMM!  But then, I still had like half the batter leftover after filling the jalapenos.  So, I ended up getting 7 full sized muffins too.

And in the end, I liked the muffins better anyway.  Even seeded and de-veined, the peppers were a little on the hot side for me.

Filling the jalapenos with one thumb was probably the hardest part, so some of them were a little funny shaped.  Oh well.

So now, I just have to wait to get my stitches out.  And be able to do every day things like open bags, do dishes and wash my hands like a normal person again!  Oh, and you know, not have a cold and get snowed in by Nemo!



Jalapeno Cornbread Poppers
from Oh, Bite It!

10 (the recipe called for 12) medium or large jalapeno peppers
1 box cornbread mix (the recipe called for the honey variety, and I do think the sweetness worked well)
1 cup and 1/2 cup shredded  cheddar cheese
1 cup corn kernels


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Very carefully, and preferably using both thumbs, slice the jalapenos in half lengthwise, and remove the seeds and veins.

Prepare the cornbread batter as directed on the package, and add 1 cup of cheddar and the corn.  Mix until evenly combined.

Fill each half-jalapeno with cornbread mix.  Sprinkle with the remaining cheddar.  Bake for 15-20 minutes (I think I ended up baking them for more like 30 minutes).

Comments

Popular Posts