On Top of Spaghetti . . .

Last Friday was an important day!  It marked one week until our wedding!

Ok, so it did, but that wasn't why I was making a fancy dinner.  Instead, we were celebrating mom and dad's 36th wedding anniversary!  Which is also exciting!  Even if it really was on Saturday.

But for the second year in a row, NES and I made mom and dad dinner for their anniversary.  We decided not to make eggplant parmesean again, partially because we didn't want it to get old, and partially because, well, it is kind of time consuming.  And things are kind of busy right about now.  That is also why I didn't make fresh pasta this year.  Someday I will make pasta again.  Just like bread.  I'll do that too.

My first thought after that was spaghetti and meatballs.  It's one of mom's absolute favorite meals, and dad likes it too.  And they don't get it at home often because I don't like it.  So, thusly, we decided it was a good option.  Neither of us had ever made meatballs before, so it was a little bit of an adventure.  Really, it wasn't so bad.

We made Nathaniel's version of sauce, just like last year, but with 2 cans of crushed tomatoes instead of one, and with the addition of fresh rosemary, basil, parsley, thyme and oregano from the garden!  It was so fun to just be able to go and pick the herbs right in the back yard!
The meatballs actually came together pretty well, too.  I was surprised at how not-so-nasty-as-I-imagined the ground beef mixture was to roll into balls.  If you know me, you know I do not like ground meat.  And these meatballs were no exception.  But at least they weren't so bad to make!
I was also able to use fresh herbs in the meatballs!  None of our own veggies yet, though.  Hopefully soon!
And it was so easy to just drop them into the sauce and let them simmer while I made salad and NES made garlic bread.  As exhausted as I was after making dinner after a day of wedding planning, it really was a fairly straight forward dinner to make.
 
And I think we went a little overboard with meatballs, but it made enough sauce for at least 7.  It could definitely feed a crowd. 
 Happy Anniversary, you two!
Notice the puppy feet hiding under the table!

Comments

Popular Posts