New Granola

So I had to try a new granola recipe today.  Otherwise, I would have gone crazy.  I say that as I sit here, eating the same dinner I've had three nights this week, studying my way through section 4 of 20 for my first final.  But, at the same time, I've finally finished the leftovers for this week, and each proof brings me that much closer to being done.

But still, I needed a little spice in my life.  So I tried this new granola.  And, surprisingly enough, there is no quest involved, no desire to make some new type of granola (only to discover that I had recipes all along, if I had looked).  I just needed cereal.  I ran out.  And there's no way I'm eating a whole box of cereal by myself before break.  No way.

Granted, today was also a bake-with-whatever-is-in-the-cabinets day, so I had to change the recipe quite a bit.  I halved it, because 6 cups of oats is an awful lot.  And, I didn't have nuts, other grains, sesame seeds, coconut, etc.  So, I used 3 cups of oats, 1 1/2 cups of wheat germ instead of the nuts and left out all the other add ins.  Hey, it still worked.

I think one of my favorite things about making granola is the palate of browns that appear in the dry ingredients.  It always amazes me how different they can look.  They are all brown!

I did heat the applesauce mixture, like it said, but I'm not 100% convinced that was needed.  I feel like it would have worked either way.

I was afraid it wasn't going to clump enough at first, but it did.  Phew.  There's nothing worse than granola that is just all the oats individually.
And I also only baked it for 35 minutes.  I am glad -- I caught it just before it started to burn.
Hey, now I have breakfast for tomorrow.  And next week.  Hooray!
And, back to studying.  The fact that these tests are coming is starting to get to me . . . How am I supposed to study for the next week straight?  But, at the same time, how is that enough time?

Comments

Popular Posts