Chocolate Yogurt Cookies

Some days I come home from school motivated to do work.  Some days, in the middle of making dinner for when NES gets home, I decide to make cookies instead.  Can you guess which type of day Tuesday was?

I decided to make our fake Chipotle burrito bowls for dinner, and in the midst of that, decided that making a jar full of homemade taco seasoning was a good idea.  Granted, it will be nice to not have to mix up all those spices next time we go to make burrito bowls.  So, it was a good idea.  And then I decided that since NES was going to be late, and I was waiting for brown rice to cook anyway, it was a good time to make cookies.  Did I mention I had the laundry going too?

What actually became this random urge to bake cookies in the middle of making dinner came from a urge to bake something because it's fall.  There's got to be something pumpkin out there that needs making, right?

But instead I found filled chocolate chips -- "delightfulls," if you will -- at the grocery store.  So cookies (or brownies) became the name of the game.  I picked up one bag of cherry chips and one bag of peanut butter, since I really wanted cherry, but I figured NES would prefer peanut butter.  Hence, two batches of cookies.

In searching through all my bajillion pins related to "cookies" on pinterest, I came across these chocolate fudge yogurt cookies.    I had just bought a big container of yogurt, and didn't have all that much butter, so I decided to go with it.  Plus, they kinda satisfied the brownie thing I was going for too.

The dough was very, very thick.  I doubled the recipe, and probably ended up adding about 1/2 cup of milk to the dough just to be able to stir it.  And boy, was I glad that I had extra cocoa powder sitting around!  These cookies aren't joking about the chocolate.

I managed to bake them up into decently sized cookies (something I usually struggle with!) and ended up with 2 dozen of each.  NES and I made a pretty good dent in that number the first night (well, we ate 5 between the two of us.  does that count as a good dent??)  Oops!  But hey, no oil, no butter -- they aren't the worst snack in the world! (Like, a straight up candy bar would be worse.  Or a regular cookie.  Or ice cream.  You get the idea.)

They were definitely the best straight out of the oven.  They were warm, gooey, and the chocolate flavor almost entirely masked any tangy-ness leftover from the yogurt.

Oh, and the peanut butter chips.  They were like little tiny, gooey, gloppy melted Hershey's kisses of amazingness.  Not that the cherry weren't good too, but I didn't have one of those warm (it would have spoiled my dinner!) and the peanut butter ones were just.so.good.

Anyway, go make these.  And don't skimp on the filled chips if you can find them!  (I'd think mini reeses or peanut butter m&ms would work, too!)



DelightFull Chocolate Fudge Yogurt Cookies
slightly adapted from Give Recipe

1 egg
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar (I might go with regular white sugar next time . . . personal preference)
1 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup flour
1 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking powder
pinch of salt
1 cup DelightFull chocolate chips
milk

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

Whisk together the egg, sugar, vanilla extract and yogurt until smooth.

Mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.  Add to the egg mixture and mix well with a spatula.  Add milk a few tablespoons at a time until the dough is manageable to mix.

Add the chocolate chips, stirring gently.

Drop onto the parchment paper in 2 tbsp. sized balls.  Bake for 10-13 minutes.

Cool on a wire rack.  Makes about 2 dozen cookies.











Comments

Popular Posts