Yogurt Biscuits and Food52's Baking

Hello, friends!  I've been gone for so long.  I really am sad it went so long.  That was by FAR the longest I've ever taken off from blogging.  But I guess my excuse is this: (a.) school.  (b.) the fact that one of NES or I was sick for pretty much the whole month of November. (c.) tired.  (d.) dissertation/research paper.  and now I'm just making excuses.  Anyway, it's been busy and tiring.  But now I'm on break!  I have a bunch of things in the queue, so we'll see how many of them actually make it out during break.

But what I'm really here to tell you about is something that should definitely grace your Christmas table.  Oh, and I'm here to tell you that you should go see The Force Awakens.  So good.  (Listen to grumpy face Amidala.)

But, yes, back to food.

One of my favorite social media accounts to follow is called Food52.  I follow them on Instagram and Facebook for the recipes and pretty pictures they post.  I've found a bunch of fun things through following them.  I just recently tried some of their cookies for NES's coworkers for Christmas.  Hopefully that's another story for another day.

Another one that made my "to-make" list was their yogurt biscuits.  I stored them away and hadn't made them until recently.

So when I found out that Food52 had a cookbook called "Baking: 60 Sensational Treats You Can Pull Off in a Snap", I was pretty excited.  It's a gorgeous cookbook, and has a real range of baked goods, including breakfast goods, cookies & bars, fruit desserts, custardy cakes & puddings, everyday cakes, special occasion cakes, and even savory baked goods.  There are even crackers!

True to the name, very few recipes even make it onto two pages, and most seem like they are very approachable.  However, if you're looking for the standard chocolate chip cookies, chocolate fudge brownies, etc., then this isn't your cookbook.  It includes some standards, like peach tart, but many of the recipes fall more along the lines of maple persimmon upside-down cake with maple cream.  I did have a hard time finding a finger food for kind of a standard birthday party.

However, I noticed that the yogurt biscuits were in there.  I was asked to bring a morning snack when we visited JAB, RNB, EAB, AS and CS earlier this month, so I made the biscuits.  (I was also thinking of the biscuit lovers in the group.)

They were quick and easy to make.  Like really quick and easy.

I didn't have a standard biscuit cutter, so I used a small heart one (about 2 inches across), but the small rolls were perfect for snacking.  They would have been quite small for a meal.

I decided to go savory with half and sweet with half.  Instead of actually subbing in some sugar for the sweet ones, as they suggested (oh, yes.  Did I mention they offer variations on some of the recipes?) I just dusted the top with cinnamon sugar instead of salt.

Both types were excellent on their own, with Nutella, jam or peanut butter!  They were a little denser than the average butter biscuit and definitely not as flaky, but RNB pointed out they'd actually hold up better for something like biscuits and gravy.

I almost made them again the next weekend to go with corn chowder.  I'm thinking about bringing them for Christmas.  I'll definitely be making them again!


Yogurt Biscuits
from Food52's Baking

2 cups flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup plain yogurt (Greek worked fine)
1/2 cup milk (any kind)
milk or melted butter for brushing
sea salt or cinnamon sugar, for sprinkling

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  Line the baking sheet with parchment paper.

Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.

In another bowl (or measuring cup), mix the yogurt and milk.  Gradually add to the flour mixture.  Mix gently until just incorporated.  Think of folding in butter rather than stirring.

The dough should still be a bit crumbly, not a perfect ball.  Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead gently.  Fold the dough over itself and press down.  Once the dough comes into a unified ball, roll or press it out into a disk 2 inches thick.

Cut out the biscuits and place on the parchment paper.  Knead the scraps together gently and cut out as many biscuits as possible.

Brush the tops with milk or melted butter, then sprinkle with salt or cinnamon sugar.

Bake for 10-15 minutes, until just golden brown.



I received this book from the Blogging for Books program in exchange for this review.

Comments

Popular Posts