Peach Overview and Infuse

I have to admit that a little part of me cried this week when our CSA haul switched from including tons of peaches to tons of apples.  Don't get me wrong: I LOVE apples.  But the season for fresh peaches seems so short, and I'm sad it's over already.

Mostly, I just ate the peaches as soon as they were ripe.  Breakfast, lunch or dinner, you name it, I ate them.

And Saturn peaches?  Woah.  I don't know how I'd never learned they were like the sweetest peaches imaginable.

However, after weeks getting more than a dozen peaches at a time, I decided that I needed to make something to use up the excess peaches that I couldn't eat fast enough.

I would be the only one eating whatever I made, so I decided that our annual Labor day camping trip was a good occasion to use up a bunch of them!  I actually sliced a dozen peaches before we left, NES made up some crumb topping and we packed it into the cooler!  (Any crumb topping for a crisp or coffee cake that you prefer would work just fine!)
Then I cooked it in a dutch oven in the campfire!  I put it to the side, turned it a couple times, and after about an hour (and after dinner was ready and eaten) the peaches were bubbling!  Yum!  (And since it was in the dark, I don't have any pictures.  Bummer.)

Another use I found for my peaches was homemade peach iced tea!

I found it in a cookbook called Infuse by Eric Prum and Josh Williams.  NES had gotten their first book, Shake for Christmas, along with the mason jar cocktail shaker they designed.  I knew we needed Infuse because a.) their style is gorgeous, and b.) they have great, unique ideas.

And I was right!  The book is full of minimal, but gorgeous pictures, and lots of tasty infusions of oils, alcohols and water.  The best part, in my opinion is that with most of the infusions, there's a recipe to use it!  That eliminates the "well, now what do I make with this?" question!

NES and I are excited about a chili oil grilled pizza, but since that takes two weeks to infuse, we haven't gotten there yet.

However, I made their peach iced tea!  It's a 10 hour infusion, so it's much quicker than the chili oil and perfect to stick in the fridge at bedtime for a morning pick-me-up!


It's also easy, and way better than bottled stuff.  And it has 4 ingredients.  Perfect!


I make it with decaf black tea, but I'm looking forward to trying it with green tea, too!




Honey-Peach Black Tea
from Infuse

20 oz. water
3 tbsp. loose leaf black tea (or 5 teabags)
1 fresh peach, peeled and cut into slices
2 tbsp. of honey (or to taste -- I think I'll cut it down for a less sweet tea)

32 oz. mason jar

Add the water, tea and peach slices to the mason jar.  Seal and shake.

Refrigerate for 10 hours.

Strain through a double layer of cheesecloth (or I use a coffee filter).  Pour back into the jar, add the honey, reseal and shake.

Serve with ice and option additonal peach slices.  Tea will keep, refrigerated for up to 3 days.


I received this book from the Blogging for Books program in exchange for this review.

Comments

Popular Posts