CSA Weeks #7 & 8

Well, summer, where'd you go?  My goodness, this summer has gone fast.  Every day I wonder how it's already mid-August!  Whaaaa?

Anyhow, in case you didn't notice, I've been terribly bad at posting.  I have so many fun posts but all I can seem to do is be two weeks late for CSA posts!  Seriously?

But, without further ado, the past two weeks' CSA shares, and some of the adventures we've been having!

Week 7:

Basil
Green Beans
Blueberries
Carrots
Cucumbers
Fennel
Kale
Lettuce
Onions
Peaches
Summer Squash

Week 8:

Green Beans
Beets
Blueberries
Cucumbers
Kohlrabi
Onions
Peaches
Raspberies
Summer Squash

First of all, we had an unfortunate situation with week 7's basil and lettuce.  Somehow they froze in the fridge.  I've had a few problems with things in the very back freezing, but never the whole bottom shelf.  Bummer.

Both sets of green beans turned into snacks!  We sat around the campfire during our camping trip, and ate one bag, and I ate the other with lunches.  A few also went with a little kale and summer squash into scrambled eggs.

The carrots and cucumbers also became camping snacks!

The fennel was our kitchen buddy.  It was seriously that giant.

The kale is being made into kale chips as soon as I am home for more than an hour at a time!

I used one of the batches of onions to make NES baked onion rings for his birthday! Recipe to follow.  I also made baked chicken fingers for his birthday, since he was working all evening on his birthday!

The peaches, blueberries and raspberries were gobbled up almost as soon as I got them!  (Or they ripened.)

The squashes have been going into scrambled eggs with a little garlic salt.  Mmmm.

Again, I'm waiting for a cool day to roast the beets.  It's either been too hot or I've been tooooo busy.

So there you go!

In the meantime, we went to fireworks right down the road from us.  It was a very convenient show!
Mom also brought our Paris/Amsterdam food!   She brought Paris macarons, and the stroopwafels I requested from Amsterdam!  Both are so, so much better than the American versions I've had here!  Also, Minion tic tacs.  Excellent!

Then mom and I went blueberry picking!  Huzzah! 8 lbs. of blueberries later . . .
Also, this past weekend we went camping with friends at a campground remarkably near where I lived during my first year of grad school.  It was a lovely park, and lovely weather!  We had a great time!

I made the same chicken gyros I made for camping two years ago, and I brought my favorite cookies for s'more making!

While we were camping, NES and I also headed out to see LLM (formerly LLB) and SM get married!

I also got to catch up with AMS, BS, SLW, AB, and KT!  Hooray!



Baked Onion Rings
from Creme de la Crumb

1 large onion
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp. seasoning salt (I used a combo of salt and dried basil)
1/2 tsp. chili powder
2 cups panko breadcrumbs
2 eggs +2 tbsp. water
nonstick spray (this really is essential!)

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with foil, and spray generously with nonstick spray.

Peel the outermost layer of the onion off and throw away.  Cut the ends off (save as much of the onion as you can), and slice the rest of the onion carefully into thick rings.    Separate the rings and put into a bowl of water.

Place the bread crumbs into one medium (shallow and wide) bowl.  Similarly, place the flour, seasoning salt and chili powder into a second medium bowl.  Whisk the eggs and water together in a third medium bowl.

Take the onion rings one at a time, and toss in flour, coating well.  Dip into the egg mixture next, coating all the sides.  Finally, toss the ring in the panko crumbs, coating well.  Place onto the baking sheet.  Continue until all rings are used.

Spray the rings with non-stick spray (well, I suppose you don't have to, but this really makes them remarkably crispy!) and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until golden.  Serve with dipping sauce of choice!


Comments

Popular Posts