Semi-Foodie (almost anniversary) Adventure to Maine

Well, here we go with another belated post about an adventure more than two weeks ago.  Oops.

NES and I headed to Maine!  It wasn't really an anniversary trip, but since we are "stay-cationing" right now for our anniversary, it sorta counts a little.  Really, it had nothing to do with it.  Anyway.  That.

We also visited DJRL and NL!  Actually, we kinda stayed in their backyard.  It was pretty wonderful.  It meant staying in a cozy little cabin with the most spectacular view, playing badminton with them, and eating dinner with them one night!  Oh, and it was wonderfully relaxing.  NES and I each read at least two books.  It was great.

And I kinda felt like this was really a foodie adventure.  Or at least getting there.

We had a great many wonderful food experiences.  Some of which included (slightly) overindulging to get the full effect of the trip!

We started with getting surprisingly good pizza while we waited for anniversary-partiers cleared away from the point where we were staying.  And although I could never complain about pizza anyway, it was even less complaint worthy with this view.

We spent our first day exploring the island we were staying on.  This included a trip to a fun coffee place for NES's ice coffee, many art galleries, a very friendly and conveniently placed cat, and an amazing lunch.

We tried a new restaurant, and decided to go for appetizers/soup for lunch.  I tried their scallop chowder -- so good.  Oh, my goodness.  Buttery, creamy and deadly.  Yum.  I think scallop chowder is one of my new favorites.

NES got wings, and we decided to split onion rings.  The waitress suggest a large since we were splitting one, and it made sense to us.  Then this came out.

So many onion rings.  We ate them with two additional meals during the week.  Woah.

Then dinner was NES's rice and veggies.  He literally just chops a couple peppers, mushrooms and a shallot, sautes them, then makes rice pilaf from the box directions in the same pan, then seasons it.  It's so good, and I'm pretty sure it tasted even better with this view.

Tuesday involved a trip to Fort Knox and the related observatory.  It's something NES and I have mentioned doing every time we drive through, but just got to this trip.  It was really fun exploring the fort.  

First, there was a chocolate croissant from the coffee shop, though.  So tasty.  And a good investment, since lunch ended up being around 2:00.

After grilled cheese and other tasty sandwiches, we got ice cream.  And shockingly enough, a kiddie was actually a kiddie sized amount of ice cream!  Amazing!  It was perfect, since we wanted to try it, but not stuff ourselves.  I got chocolate salted caramel.  Yum.

DJRL made us chicken, rice and peas for dinner.  It was tasty, and great for catching up.  Then an apple crumb cake (still warm!) with ice cream for dessert.  Mmmmm.

On Wednesday, we headed to Bar Harbor/Acadia National Park.  NES had never been there, or at least he didn't remember it, so it was a fun introduction for him.  It was a little rainy, so we didn't really get to explore the park.  I don't have a very good track record: both times I've been to Mount Desert Island, it's either been 95 degrees and humid or cool and rainy.  Oops.
We also stopped at DJRL's work in the morning for scones and jam (or scam and jones if you can't talk, just like me)!  I love this jam.  I, of course, had to have all four!


NES got a coffee beverage at the Pink Pastry Shop.  I BARELY resisted getting a cupcake or whoopie pie.  It took most of my will power.  They looked amazing.

They also had amazing pink peonies on the counter!

I did have a yummy southwestern style quinoa veggie burger for lunch.  Yum.

Don't forget the lobster on the placemat!
After all that food, dinner was supposed to be a low key event in our little cottage kitchen.  I was going to make a pizza on some premade dough.  Easy peasy, right?  Then the oven wouldn't turn on.  Oops.  Thanks to NL's uncle for coming to rescue us and light the pilot light (that we couldn't find).  It ended up being a late dinner.

Thursday was a rainy day, and we took advantage of having a cottage to ourselves (instead of an hotel room!) and stayed at home.  We took a quick trip to get food supplies in the morning, then cozied up inside with books and blankets and tea.

Being myself, I of course couldn't resist some baking.  That was the best part of having a (tiny) kitchen of our own!

I was thinking oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, and tried to find a recipe with what little internet my phone could muster.  Then I realized that there were some interesting cookbooks on the shelf in the cottage.  One was a cookbook from a cafe I had liked ( but is now closed) on the island.  Lo and behold: there were salted oatmeal chocolate chip cookies in it.  Perfect.

I did have slight limitations in cookware . . . I used a small whisk that kept bending, meaning I had to hold it way down at the bottom of the handle, and I completely filled up the mixing bowls.  Oops.  We invested in a full sized whisk for $.75 at the farmer's market the next day, so maybe next time, it'll be easier.

Oh, and just two warnings about the cookies: the recipe says it makes 15 large cookies.  Well, large must mean monstrous, since I made 1 1/2 the recipe trying to make enough cookies for us, DJRL and NL and the Ls.  I ended up with 4 1/2 dozen cookies even making them larger than my average cookie.

Second warning: Because of the little bit of salt on the top of these cookies (don't skip it, trust me!) they are completely addictive.  I bet you can't just eat one.


They made a wonderful project on a rainy, cozy day in the cottage.
Friday turned out to be beautiful, and we headed out to a nearby island, mostly for chocolate.  Although, adventures are fun too!

We started with a trip to the best breakfast place on the island.  We decided that it wouldn't be an official trip without it.

We also wandered the farmer's market while we waited for the boat.  It's one of the best farmer's markets I have ever been to -- there is just so much variety!






NES also got his coffee, and I got some chai!

Then, after a boat ride with some awfully cute pups, we headed to the chocolatier on the island!

This is where we went a little overboard with the experience.  But we hiked out to a pretty cove after, so it kinda evens out.  (I'll just keep deluding myself.  Don't mind me.)

We started with a couple paninis.  Mine had roasted eggplant, tomatoes, pesto and mozzarella, and I stole NES's tomato soup.

NES had grilled cheese.

And meanwhile, we stared at all this chocolate.

Then came dessert.  We actually didn't have truffles (we brought some home with us!), but we did have ice cream!

This ice cream is actually vanilla ice cream with pieces of super-duper gourmet truffles in it.  Oh my goodness.  I don't know if any other truffle ice cream will ever live up.

We also splurged on a an iced drinking chocolate!  It was very unique: it was a bitter chocolate base with some cinnamon (and nutmeg?) in it, topped with some very sweet whipped cream.

It was very interesting, but a little bit strong and bitter for my tastes.  It was definitely an experience though.

Before going to see Maleficent at an old opera house, we had a quick picnic lunch back on the main island.  I had my favorites: cheese, crackers, peanut butter and apple.  Now, if only it had been blueberry/raspberry/blackberry season.

On Saturday, we (unfortunately) had to go home.  I spent a while out on the rocks enjoying my bagel and tea and writing post cards.  It was finally my chance to have breakfast by the water!

We took our time driving down the coast, and NES finally got his ultimate coffee beverage.  Earlier in the week when we got ice cream (the real kiddie sized ones!), NES heard about a new drink offering: iced coffee with espresso ice cream and whipped cream.  On Saturday morning, he got one!

We also stopped at a new-to-us cafe for lunch!  I think we've found a new must-stop restaurant!

And of course some frozen custard had to make it's cameo appearance!
After all that wonderful food and all that relaxing, it was hard to come back to real life, but somehow we managed.



Salted Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
from the Lily's Cafe Cookbook
1 1/2 cups flour
4 cups old fashioned oats
3 tbsp. cocoa powder
1 1/2 sticks butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon (I used more like 1 tsp.)
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups chocolate chips
sea salt

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, mix the flour, oats and cocoa powder together.

Using a mixer (or serious whisk power!) beat the butter until fluffy.  Add the sugars (both), baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon and beat well.  The mixture should be creamy and smooth.

Add the eggs and vanilla and beat again.

Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture.  Mix well.  The flour mixture should be fully incorporated.  Add the chocolate chips, and stir well.

Roll the dough into balls (you will need to shape the balls), and press each ball onto a greased baking sheet.  The balls need to be flattened slightly.

Sprinkle each ball with a pinch or two of salt.  Bake 10-12 minutes, or until slightly cracked on top.


Comments

Popular Posts