Derby Pie

Yes, the Kentucky Derby was a couple weeks ago now.  Yes, I am a New England girl.  So where does Derby pie come from?

Well, first of all, what excuse does anyone need to eat pie that includes lots of butter, sugar and chocolate?

Second, Derby day was a big deal on many of the food blogs I read.  I was being inundated by Kentucky Derby party worthy food on every side.

And finally, I had some fancy-dancy chocolate that one of NES's coworkers gave me, so I wanted to make something chocolate for NES to bring to work.

After looking through almost every dessert-exclusive cookbook I own, plus a few others just for good measure, I had decided on some fudge bars.  And then Derby pie came into my sphere of influence.  Being just a couple days after the Derby, it seemed appropriate.

So I made a Derby pie.

Since it was a one crust pie, I tried the no roll pie crust again.  It was a much better size for my pan (aka: many fewer leftovers) but it was a little crumblier.  I guess that's what I get for using low fat cream cheese.

It still tasted good!
The filling was amazing.  (I mean, I never eat unbaked doughs, what are you talking about?)  I was literally scooping it up with the chocolate discs.


It kind of turned into a half chocolate chip cookie pie, half pecan pie.  It was totally a hybrid pie.

And the pie got good reviews!  It wasn't my favorite because of the pecans.  Growing up with baked goods sans nuts, I am still just not used to them.  I would have rather just had a chocolate chip cookie pie.  However, if nuts in baked goods are your thing, go for it!


Derby Pie
from My Cooking Spot

1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup flour
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup chocolate chips (I used milk chocolate and it came out very sweet)
1 bottom pie crust (see recipe below)

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.

Mix the butter and sugar.  Add the eggs and the vanilla and mix well.

Add the salt and flour, mixing well.

Fold in the pecans and chocolate chips.

Pour the mixture into the prepared pie crust.

Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour.  Allow to cool before slicing.


No Roll Pie Crust
from Joy the Baker

1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. sugar
1/8 tsp. baking powder
1/4 cup frozen butter, grated on a cheese grater
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tbsp. cream cheese, softened
2 tbsp. cold milk

Whisk the flour, salt, baking powder and sugar in a medium bowl.

Add the grated frozen butter and cream cheese.  Work the cream cheese and butter into the flour mixture with your fingers.  You'll have to break the butter and cream cheese up until the bits are the size of small pebbles or smaller.

Whisk together the milk and oil.  Add to the flour and butter mixture.

Using a fork, combine the ingredients.  All the flour should be incorporated into the liquid.  It need not come together into a ball.

Dump the dough into a 9 inch pie pan.  Press the dough into the pie plate in a even, flat as possible manner.  Don't worry about fingerprints.

Freeze the prepared crust while you prepare the filling.  Bake according to the filling directions.

If you need a pre-baked pie crust (for a different recipe), line the pie crust with foil, weigh down with beans and bake for 10 minutes.  Remove the foil and beans and bake for an additional 4-6 minutes or until golden brown.

Comments

Popular Posts