Old Recipe Review

Today was the ultimate in lazy, lazy days.  NES and I had a great time at KB and MB's wedding last night!  It was a beautiful wedding on a beautiful summer evening.

So today we were sleepy.  After church, NES and I wandered downtown to the farmer's market and to briefly walk through the art show.  I was looking forward to some fresh peaches, but they were already gone.  Sad day.  Hopefully at the other farmer's market tomorrow.

However, despite the clouds, it was a nice day for walking downtown!  We wandered downtown yesterday, too, and found some fun little nooks by the river.

And then, rather than make the (not really complicated, but still too complicated for a lazy day) stir-fry that we were going to make, we went for super lazy.

On our adventures downtown yesterday, we found this really, really good cow's milk cheese.  I don't know the name -- it's something fancy -- but it tasted like a slightly softer and less intense pecorino romano.  It immediately reminded me of this meal I made for NES not too long after our wedding.

So, on a lazy night when NES suggested just making pasta, I decided it was the perfect time to resurrect that meal.  Because, really, how much more difficult is it to add some olive oil, chopped thyme and oregano from the back deck, some cracked pepper, and a little ground red pepper.  It's actually easier (in my opinion, at least!) than heating up sauce.

Then, a little freshly grated cheese (parmesan or pecorino romano) and voila!  A fancy looking, but really very lazy meal.

There was also a yellow zucchini in the fridge just waiting to be eaten.  I was planning on just steaming it, but I also decided to revisit an old favorite.  I stole this roasted veggie recipe from a chicken recipe.  I'd always used potatoes, carrots and zucchini, but hey, why not just zucchini?

I just cut it into circles and tossed it with some olive oil, dijon mustard and fresh rosemary.  It bakes for 45-50 minutes at 400 degrees, flipping them in the middle.  Mmmmmmm.  And thank goodness for the overcast day -- it made it bearable to have the oven on!

And that's the story of two old recipes that combined to make one lazy and tasty dinner!

Comments

Popular Posts